Jonny333 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Filtering/Querying Records using Selection Screen

Hi all,

I've been wracking my brain over this for a couple of hours and would appreciate any feedback any of you could offer (FYI, I'm relatively new to Access). Apologies in advance if this is long-winded, but I want to try and be as clear as possible.

I've created a customer database for a group of people. It consists of an unbound switchboard main form, a few data entry forms, some search forms, and report generators. The new thing I've been asked to implement is a sort of login screen that filters the full customer roster down to the customer roster of the person that is "logging in." I've created this so-called "log-in" screen with a combo box that shows the list of people that would log in, as well as an option to view the full customer roster.

Here's my vision: the log-in screen would open concurrently with the switchboard form and prompt a selection for log-in. This selection would then be stored so that the person logging in can do whatever tasks they would like from the switchboard (add new records/customers, view the customers that are already under their name, generate reports, etc.). I would also want the person logging in to be able to change their log-in selection from the switchboard.

So, my question basically is: what would be the best way to do this? My initial thought was to have all of the forms launched from the switchboard bound to a stored query that is manipulated/changed by the log-in form. Alternatively, I was thinking it might be best to just keep the forms bound to the tables and just code the log-in screen to change/update the filter of the table. I could also just write the SQL string in VB. This is a split database running over a network, so my main concern is implementing a method that would maximize performance and efficiency.

I'd appreciate any feedback and advice any of you could offer! Some tips for VB code for this task would also be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

-Jonny

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure a 'login' screen is needed, especially since the login can simply be altered on the switchboard. Login obviously not for security purposes. Just have combobox on switchboard to select login. I don't know but doubt performance is affected by forms/reports bound to queries or to the linked tables or even if the query is built in the form/report RecordSource.

You can include a parameter in each query that refers to the combobox for user criteria. Or use WHERE clause of DoCmd.OpenForm/OpenReport.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.