Lorlai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Access stops responding during update query

I have a database that is linked to a sharepoint list. I've been routinely updating the data in this table with an update query. Recently (during the last month) whenever I run two specific queries, my copy of access freezes up and stops responding. Normally this freeze will continue for several minutes, and then will wake itself up and finish the query. Over time, these freeze times get longer and longer, with the one happening today lasting nearly 15 minutes. I have many other queries that I have run, and they have no issues.

Does anyone have any clue why Access would freeze on these specific updates?

Thank you,

Lorelai

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is likely not Access that is freezing but either your computer's CPU is pegging at 100% or the computer that SharePoint is on. Open up Task Manager and go to the PERFORMANCE tab and then run the query. See what the CPU does. You may need to get your network/server guy(s) involved to see if it is something on the server side.

Also, you might post the SQL of the query so we can see if it might have some things which could cause problems.
    Last edited by boblarson; 12-13-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add request

Lorlai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Thank you for your response Bob. I thought it might be something like that. Out of curiosity, do you know why it's only these two queries? I have several other update queries that access the SharePoint that have no problems at all.

Thank you,
    Lorelai

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorlai View Post
    Thank you for your response Bob. I thought it might be something like that. Out of curiosity, do you know why it's only these two queries? I have several other update queries that access the SharePoint that have no problems at all.

Thank you,
    Lorelai
    It would be hard to say without seeing the SQL for those queries and knowing how many records are in each table being used for those queries and what the code to any custom functions that may be being used in those queries are.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.