ctrapper is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Computing an Average

I have a list of jobs in one column, with corresponding numeric values in another for given dates. Is there a query I can create that would start with the 5th occurrence, and give me a 5 day average as I move down in dates.. ? does this make sense?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you trying to get an average by week? The function DatePart will give you a week number which you can group by and then get an average of the numbers.

Hi Aytee.. it's more of running 5 day average.. for example.. after the 5th of the month, going forward I want to average only the last 5 days of data.. it could overlap weeks.. I tried doing it in excel... the only way I know for sure to do it is to filter out all 30 jobs into separate tabs, compute tehe 5 day ave, then combine them all back together.. seems like there's an easier way to do it..

If you only want the last 5 days - always - then in your criteria for the date column put something like this: >Date()-6 (after today minus 6). I presume you have the date stored?

Ok thanks I will try that.. I am not as versed in Access as I am in EXCEL, but I think Access has more flexibility when dealing with data.. I will give it a try!

Yes Date is posted in the Table in the format 11/7/2010 for example:

When I enter Criteria as you suggested as: >11/7/2010()-6 I get an error back.. invalid

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

For this type of thing, Excel is far better suited. Access cannot refer to values in any records other than the current one, be it in a recordset, a query, or a form in datasheet view.

You are right in saying that Access has more flexibility, but it's not Excel, and cannot do everything Excel does.

John

John I don't disagree at all that's where I started.. I have everything in one tab, and tried to filter by each job, and then do the ave. starting after the 5th occurrence using =subtotal(1,RANGE). However, I cannot copy it down, I guess the filter screws up the copy down. I could create a new for each job, do the ave, and then combine it all back into 1 Spreadsheet.. I was just looking for an easier way where the data is already together..

If you are going to use a real date in your query, then the format is a bit different.

> DateDiff("d",-6,#11/7/2010#)

But why would you use a real date like that? I think there is something I am missing.

Aytee.. let me try to clean up my explanation, and by the way, the date formula now works but I am not sure if it solved the issue.. so let's go this route.. I added a column in EXCEL and assigned a # sequence to the number of times the job ran. Example Job "ATL" ran 80 times over a given period, so I # each row where the job ran in sequential order 1-80. All I am wanting to do is easily obtain a rolling average, right now I am thinking after 5 occurrences. I should take the date of the equation because they don't run every day. So with that being said, I have a column where I want the Average to go, so in the Row that contains the 6th occurrence I want would like to populate the average of 1-5, then on the 7th occurrence I want the average for 2-6 and so on.. does this help? Here's my issue.. there are 30 jobs all listed in EXCEL, I can filter by Job but I cannot find a way to Average because the filter messes up the =subtotal(1, Range) I am using to Ave when using a filter. Someone suggested using SQL, but I don't have an SQL application, so they recommended ACCESS. If I am better of in EXCEL let me know. Thanks for all the help!

Good grief.. you can close this.. I apologize.. I didn't even think to do a sort in excel so all the jobs were grouped together where I could use the average formula then resort by sequence.. thanks for all the help!

Excel is usually better at calculations and Access is better at storing and manipulating data.

Good luck!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You might get some ideas from this if you still want to try Access
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210138

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.