WeeTerrier is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

SQL for Update Query

Hi,

I have a basic knowledge of Access but am struggling with getting update queries to run. Sometimes they work perfectly and other times I can't seem to the the syntax quite right and don't know enough about SQL to spot the mistakes, can anyone help?

I basically want to update a field on a table, but to ensure the right value is taken from the reference table I need to make sure that two fields on the update table match those on the reference table.

I have tried creating a query in design view but it doesn't seem to work. Therefore I've been playing around with the SQL and have the following, but it only returns values from the update table which I entered manually:

UPDATE tblOperatorsInstallations, Operations
    SET Operations.MSReference = [tblOperatorsInstallations]![MSReference]
    WHERE (((Operations.Installation)=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Installation]) AND ((Operations.Operator)=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Operator]));

Any advice appreciated!

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I'm a dud with SQL, but I'd make the table/field references the same.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeTerrier View Post
    Hi,

I have a basic knowledge of Access but am struggling with getting update queries to run. Sometimes they work perfectly and other times I can't seem to the the syntax quite right and don't know enough about SQL to spot the mistakes, can anyone help?

I basically want to update a field on a table, but to ensure the right value is taken from the reference table I need to make sure that two fields on the update table match those on the reference table.

I have tried creating a query in design view but it doesn't seem to work. Therefore I've been playing around with the SQL and have the following, but it only returns values from the update table which I entered manually:

SET [Operations]![MSReference] = [tblOperatorsInstallations]![MSReference]
    WHERE ((([Operations]![Installation])=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Installation]) AND (([Operations]![Operator])=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Operator]));

Any advice appreciated!
    I admit that the syntax of table/field references is somewhat mystical to me.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your help. I've tried the amended code you gave me but it gives me the same result. It's almost like it can't find the other table. Am I doing somethnig wrong in the "update" line??

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

See this link.

http://http://www.techonthenet.com/sql/update.php

The second example seems to cover exactly what you are trying to do. It also suggests that the syntax which I suggested is moot.
    HTH

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the link. I think I must be pretty close with the coding but there's still something not quite right as the query is still giving me the same results... I'll keep trying and see how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    SET Operations.MSReference = [tblOperatorsInstallations]![MSReference]
    WHERE (((Operations.Installation)=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Installation]) AND ((Operations.Operator)=[tblOperatorsInstallations]![Operator]));
    Try

UPDATE Operations INNER JOIN tblOperatorsInstallations ON
    tblOperatorsInstallations.Installation = Operations.Installation AND
    tblOperatorsInstallations.Operator = Operations.Operator
    SET Operations.MSReference = tblOperatorsInstallations.MSReference ;

Post back.

JenEveAle is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm pretty good with update queries but not with SQL. If you can't figure it out, paste a screenshot of your query design view and I might be able to help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Same result as before - the MSReference column from the Operations table. I was playing around earlier using the the following code:

UPDATE Operations
    SET Operations.MSReference = tblOperatorsInstallations!MSReference
    WHERE (((Operations.Installation)=tblOperatorsInstallati ons!Installation) And ((Operations.Operator)=tblOperatorsInstallations!O perator));

Admittedly it still asks for parameter values, but when I enter them it brings up the right number of rows for the data I entered, the only problem is that they're blank...

Windows XP Access 2003
    Show us your table definitions. If it's asking for parameters, then it seems you have a spelling mistake in my view.

Updates when 2 tables are involved can be tricky. I have found you must name the table to be updated first in the query.

This
    UPDATE Operations
    SET Operations.MSReference = tblOperatorsInstallations!MSReference
    WHERE (((Operations.Installation)=tblOperatorsInstallati ons!Installation) And ((Operations.Operator)=tblOperatorsInstallations!O perator));
    will NOT work.

It's SQL and you have 2 tables -- they must be joined in some manner.
    You are using !, which is vba not SQL.

Did you try the query I posted?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, I tried the query you posted but it came back with the same result as before - the MSReference column from the operations table.

Ah ok, I didn't realise ! was VBA. Thanks.

I don't know if it makes things easier, but I've attached the updated design view of the query. I tried it in design view originally and couldn't get it to work so resorted to SQL (which might have been a bad idea due to my lack of knowledge!).

As for the table definitions there are three fields that are contained on both tables, these are:

MSReference
    Operator
    Installation

The operator and installation are joint primary keys on both tables. The only problem I noticed is that when I created the relationship between the tables, Access made it one-to-one rather than one-to-many. Could this make a difference?

Again, thanks for your help.

Windows XP Access 2003
    You only have 1 table in your query grid. You say there are 2? Why do the tables have the same fields?
    Perhaps we should start with what is the application?
    What are you trying to do?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ah ok, I thought that by linking in the second table (tblOperatorsInstallations) through the criteria that this was enough to get the two tables to talk to one another. (I guess not - I'm still getting to grips with update queries.)

I was treating my "tblOperatorsInstallations" like a reference table:
    there are a number of operators who potentially deal with more than one installation. So operators may be on this table more than once, but installations are only dealt with by one operator. (Different operators do not deal with the same installation).

e.g. "tblOperatorsInstallations"

MSReference = 1
    Operator = Albert
    Installation = Blue

MSReference = 2
    Operator = Albert
    Installation = Pink

MSReference = 3
    Operator = Roy
    Installation = Green

The MSReference is the unique number for that operator and installation. To avoid duplicating the installation and operator columns on the "Operations" table permanently, it seemed more sensible to create the MSReference and use this to link the two tables (one to many relationship). (Does that make sense so far?)

Rather than inserting the MSReference into the "Operations" table by hand, I wanted to run an update query so Access would do it for me.
    Therefore I added the Operator and Installation columns into the "Operations" table temporarily (I will delete them later), to try and create a query which said something along the lines of:

WHERE:
    "Operator" in the "Operations" table is the same as "Operator" in the "tblOperatorsInstallations"

AND:
    "Installation" in the "Operations" table is the same as "Installation" in the "tblOperatorsInstallations"

UPDATE
    "MSReference" in the "Operations" table to be the same as "MSReference" in the in the "tblOperatorsInstallations" table

So when both fields are the same in both tables then the correct MSReference number should be entered, and after this is done, I can delete the Installation and Operator columns from the "Operations" table.

(There is other data in the operations table, but it's not relevant to this query other than making sure it is associated with the correct MSReference.)

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse things further!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.