Avelie47 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Exclamation Front End Db Error -- Back End file path not valid.

Hi All,

I have recently created a db for a large Printing operation in our company. Previously, the process was all paper-based and extremely inefficient, so obviously this is a huge step in the right direction.

Upon completing the db and providing a demo to the staff, I saved a copy to a shared folder on the network for them to access (.accdb file). We've done this with other dbs before, but with smaller groups (3-4 people). With this db, since there will be anywhere up to 15 people that may want to access it at the same time, the db started crashing during the first phase of pilot testing this week.

I did some more research and found that the db should be split. Sounds like the solution to my problems right!? Unfortunately, the users can't open the db anymore.

This is what I did to split the db:

I have a Printing Services shared drive in which created an "Administrator" folder for the back-end (the front-end is in the same location as that folder). When I split the db, I select the back-end location to be within the Administrator folder. Now, when I try to open the front-end, it works for me no problem -- however, when the other users try, they are receiving the following message:
    "S:\OS Tracker\Administrator Only\OS Tracker_be.accdb" is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    I know that the file path is valid, b/c I selected it specifically when using the wizard to create it, and I know that the staff have access to the shared drive as they had to open it in order to gain access to the front-end. Plus, it's working for me when I try to open it, just not the others...

Any insight as to why this would happen?? Any help is greatly appreciated!! We're in a time crunch to have this Go Live for 2012...

-Leah

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but sometimes it helps.

Even though you may have put the file in a shared location, they don't have the same permissions that you do. Temporarily make one of them an adminstrator and see if the problem disappears. I went through this a long time ago and no longer have a setup to try to replicate your problem, so good luck.

Avelie47 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Thanks, and I figured out the problem...

@hertfordkc: thanks so much for your reply -- no worries, I wasn't offended by the obvious. Sometimes it actually is that easy. Unfortunately, that wasn't the issue as I'm not an "Administrator" in the way that your thinking. The permissions were set up in our IT department and my access to the shared drive was exactly the same as the other user's.

The solution actually had to do with the letter (S:\) of the drive I had set the back-end up in. You would think that the letter I selected for the drive shouldn't have any control over the path, but instead the actual drive name -- considering that every user may map it to a different drive, I think that's just asking for trouble!

Regardless, once we set up all the users with the drive on S:\, it worked perfectly.

Thanks again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.