ridersjs is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Identify which criteria was used

new to the forum and relatively green at access but I know how to get around most things; welp here it goes.

I have a query with multiple criteria -- both multiple "ands" and "ors" in the criteria. I want to have some text in a column to categorize each of the criteria.
    EX. My data is a comparison of original data v. newly collected data. If the "Original Height" and "New Height" are not the same, it constitutes being in my query. Consequently, I would like to have a text that says "Height change" in a column to categorize the change.

What I tried was creating a table with all of the categories of changes listed in a column called 'Why'. Then for each criteria (in design view) I wrote the appropriate category title. So the criteria that queries height change, I wrote ' Like "Height Change" in the same line as the height change criteria.

I'm not opposed to sql and only slightly apprehensive about vba haha. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you (or you).

dblife is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you can make the query 'work' ie show records where these are different by writing in the new height criteria box, =original height.

ridersjs is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    right I have my queries working so that I can find the 'differences' fine. I just get so many 'differences' that I want to know which ones are what.

I guess the simplest way would be to make a "Height Changed" query, and a "Diameter Changed" query, etc. And in each query I could make a column called 'Why' then make one acculmulated 'union' table or whatever those are.

So that what I want to do, but just without all the messy query, after query, after query, about 20 all together (if I did a query for every criteria used)...see what I mean?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.