JackieEVSC is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

RecordLocks Property

I created a database (frontend and backend) that links to a SQL database and an AS400 database. There are some linked Access tables and a few local tables (in the frontend) that allows users to customize their environment. I have all the queries and forms local (in the frontend).

This database will replace a different Access database (that I did not write) that consistently locks everyone out ... forever. In order to use it again, they have to replace it with a backup, which often means losing data.

My question is ... do I need to change the default RecordLock property from "No Locks" to "Edited Records" to keep from having this problem, or will having everything but the linked tables local solve this problem? Is there any risk in having everything but the linked tables local?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why is data saved in frontend? Even user custom settings should be stored in backend so that frontend revisions can be provided to users without loss of data.

Review this http://www.databasedev.co.uk/multi-u...d-locking.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

There are only a couple of tables in the frontend, and it's something most techs would change often, sometimes multiple times a day, so data loss isn't a worry.

I'm just going to change the recordlocks to "edited records". I was just wondering if having the queries and forms local would solve the record lock problems that plague the other database.

June7 is offline VIP
    I have a split design project. Backend has only tables. Front end has all forms, queries, reports. Each user has copy of frontend on their local workstation. Very rarely get a record lock conflict.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Good, that's what I was hoping to hear! Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, but the lack of conflict is probably because users seldom edit the same record at same time. Also, they are not generating reports that would retrieve a record that someone might be editing.

I also have another very small project that is not split, has multiple simultaneous users (about 4) and all users run the same file. Data entered/edited by any user is reflected in all instances of the project. I am amazed at how well it works.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.