Grek is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Tables structure and relationships

Hi,

I'd like to build a database that would be a kind of checklist to track who performed which tasks and when.

Question #1: I have drafted the structure of my tables (screenshot below) but I'm still not sure how to link the tables? Which fields should be linked to which ones? Ultimately what I'd like to do is to be able to update for each task who has performed the task and when.

Question #2: Some tasks will only be applicable to some events (ie. Task1 will only be applicable in case of new sub-fund launch, and not in case of new share class launch). What I would like to do is to be able to filter that when loading a form. That would allow me to deal with all types of events in one single form (ie. if, in a separate form which would be the main menu, the user would click on "create new share class", then a form would pop up containing only the tasks applicable for new share classe launch, so task1 would not appear.
    What would be the best way to do that? Creating an additional table containing all my events "new sub-fund", "new share class", etc. with check boxes and a rule that would say "if this task is ticked for new sub-fund and new share class it means that the task is applicable to both"?

Many thanks for your help

Greg
    Last edited by Grek; 11-07-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

June7 is offline VIP
    Is this a modification for your project posted at https://www.accessforums.net/forms/2...orm-18628.html?

I can see that T_Tracker and T_Tasks might join on TaskID and TaskListID but have no idea how T_NewLaunches relates to these tables.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June07!
    yes, it is, I think it's cleaner to restructure my tables, don't you think?
    T_NewLaunches is the main table with several mandatory fields (Fund code on which the event takes place, Fund Name, etc)
    So would say that for each UniqueID in my table T_NewLaunches I have several tasks associated to be performed (the +100 tasks will be listed in T_Tasks in field TasksShortDescription), and for each of these tasks I want to track who completed the task and when (purpose of T_Tracker)
    Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    So T_Tracker also needs a field for the T_NewLaunches UniqueID to relate each task completed with the NewLaunches record it was accomplished for.

I will have to go look at your project again to see if this is an advance or setback.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

OK tks - let me know
    I'm attaching my "old" database
    Thanks a lot

June7 is offline VIP
    So you have decided instead of 3 specialized Tasks tables with a bunch of Yes/No fields to go with a normalized structure. This is reasonable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.