Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    tobydobo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Problems accessing a split database

Ok so I have successfully split my database (frontend/backend) and have the backend stored on a sharepoint for my team to use. One thing I noticed we all had to do is map the same drive letter to the network path where the backend is stored. Since I initally split the db on my pc using drive W, the db now requires everyone else to use the same drive letter.
    So everyone maps a W drive for the path where the backend resides, and has a local copy of the front end. 3 of us can pull it up fine and we can have multiple instances running with no problems. One user however, gets the error: "W:\<path> is not a valid path. Make sure the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides." I have verified that this user does indeed have drive W mapped to the correct location, but he still gets the error. Im lost...any takers?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I use UNC (Universal Naming Convention) instead of drive pathing. Must use VBA code to set the table links. Sample code at http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html

I don't know if applies to Sharepoint.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sweet! So I just add this code at the bottom of the existing code? I guess what I need to ask, do I just open the coding editor and just start this at the bottom?

Windows XP Access 2007
    and man oh man! i love your idea at the bottom of that post about auto-updating with latest version. I have been publishing the front end to the sharepoint and telling everyone to go and manually download it.

June7 is offline VIP
    I put this code in a public module I call Utilities. Then I run it manually whenever needed, which is not often anymore. I used it when we got a new server and they assigned a new name. I also use it when I want to run the program on a computer not on the network.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    would it also work if i add it to the bottom of my existing code for the db? If not, can you explain in detail in how to create a seperate module like that?

Windows XP Access 2007
    How would I go about creating a new public module from scratch? This part is sort of new to me. I see a modules folder under contacts project in the VB editor, do I just right click modules and select insert > module? then add the script there?

Windows XP Access 2007
    nevermind I figured it out and it worked like a charm! : ) Next I think Im going to try your version update solution.

June7 is offline VIP
    Here is thread on another user's experience implementing my version update code. If you encounter some issues, might find resolution in that discussion.

http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html

Windows XP Access 2007
    oh yea! Thanks June7. i will try this out when I get a chance.

Windows XP Access 2007
    is there a way to run a split database offline? Currently it pulls the data tables from a networked location, but in the case where we need access to the data offline, there a way to cache a snap shot of the data within the db?

June7 is offline VIP
    I have no experience with that but I am inclined to say no.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi June7, having problems with the UNC script on a new copy of my db. I imported the script:

Public Sub NormalizeTableLinks()
    'Relink tables with UNC pathing
    'Use the variables provided to do the manipulations desired
    Dim td As TableDef
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim strOld As String
    Dim strNew As String
    'replace the following strings as needed
    strOld = "change"
    strNew = "change"
    Set db = CurrentDb
    For Each td In db.TableDefs
    If InStr(td.Connect, strOld) > 0 Then
    td.Connect = Replace(td.Connect, strOld, strNew)
    td.RefreshLink
    End If
    Next td
    db.TableDefs.Refresh
    End Sub

and modified the links...but now when I run it, I get the error: Compile Error: User-defined type not defined. ....and it highlights the section that says: DIM td As TableDef.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Also one of your earlier comments stated that you run this script for pc's that are not on the network. How would that work if your backend db is networked?

June7 is offline VIP
    That probably means a Reference is not selected. Not sure which one is needed. Check the attached image from my project.

Did you use 'change' in the pathing just for this post, not really in your code?

Sorry, I meant that I took the front and back ends home and modified to run there. I uploaded the modified file to http://www.box.net/shared/r8nea07sng. It is old now, I have of course changed quite a few things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.