funkygoorilla is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Results from query are duplicated

Hi,
    I created a query to pull data from two tables with two parameters. When I run the query, it returns the correct results, but times three. Call it triplicate results if you will. I cant figure out. Can it possibly be a relationship issue?
    FunkyG

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Can it possibly be a relationship issue?
    More than likely.

Could you provide the SQL text of the query?
    What is the relationship between the 2 tables involved?

Hi, I think I figured it out. But, I don't understand why it would give me those results in the first place? it was a relationship that was not linked correctly.
    Thanks anyway.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I'm glad to hear that you got it worked out. If you could provide the SQL text of the original query, we could take a look at it and offer an explanation to help you better understand why it returned the duplicate results.

Hi, here is the SQL for the query.

SELECT tblCalls.[Time Received], tblCalls.[Time Arrived], tblCalls.[Time Cleared], CDate(Left((Right("0000" & [Time Received],4)),2) & ":" & Right((Right("0000" & [Time Received],4)),2)) AS RecTime, CDate(Left((Right("0000" & [Time Cleared],4)),2) & ":" & Right((Right("0000" & [Time Cleared],4)),2)) AS ClearTime, IIf([Time Cleared]<[Time Received],1440+DateDiff("n",[rectime],[cleartime]),DateDiff("n",[rectime],[cleartime])) AS ElapsedTime, tblCalls.[Seniority ID], tblCalls.[Dispatch Date and Time], tblCalls.Location, tblCalls.Source, tblCalls.Activity, tblCalls.Disposition, tblCalls.[Criminal Reports], tblCalls.[Traffic Citation #], tblCalls.[Misd Arrests], tblCalls.[FI's Issued], tblCallType.[Call Type], tblCalls.[Felony Arrests], tblCalls.[Other Reports], tblCalls.[DUI Arrests], tblShiftInfo.[Vehicle Number], tblShiftInfo.District, tblShiftInfo.[Starting Mileage], tblShiftInfo.[Ending Mileage], tblShiftInfo.[Beginning Shift Date], tblShiftInfo.Watch, tblShiftInfo.[Team Number], tblShiftInfo.[Duty Type], tblShiftInfo.[Ending Shift Date]
    FROM (tblShiftInfo INNER JOIN tblCalls ON tblShiftInfo.[Seniority ID] = tblCalls.[Seniority ID]) INNER JOIN tblCallType ON tblCalls.[Call Type] = tblCallType.[Call Type ID]
    WHERE (((tblCalls.[Seniority ID])=[Please enter your seniority ID:]) AND ((tblCalls.[Dispatch Date and Time]) Between [Please enter your shift start date:] And ([tblCalls].[Dispatch Date and Time])=Date()));

I need to be able to use a start date and an end date to pull all data that was input between those dates. Hopefully this makes sense.
    FunkyG

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    WHERE (((tblCalls.[Seniority ID])=[Please enter your seniority ID:]) AND ((tblCalls.[Dispatch Date and Time]) Between [Please enter your shift start date:] And ([tblCalls].[Dispatch Date and Time])=Date()));
    The BETWEEN section should be like this (I left out all of the parentheses Access put in for easier reading):

tblCalls.[Dispatch Date and Time] BETWEEN [Please enter your shift start date:] AND Date()

Are you still getting duplicate results returned from the query? If so, that might have to do with the FROM clause. One option is to create a query that shows all results and then use that as a basis for a second query that does the date and seniority ID filtering.

For example do this query first

qryCallLog

SELECT tblCalls.[Time Received], tblCalls.[Time Arrived], tblCalls.[Time Cleared], CDate(Left((Right("0000" & [Time Received],4)),2) & ":" & Right((Right("0000" & [Time Received],4)),2)) AS RecTime, CDate(Left((Right("0000" & [Time Cleared],4)),2) & ":" & Right((Right("0000" & [Time Cleared],4)),2)) AS ClearTime, IIf([Time Cleared]<[Time Received],1440+DateDiff("n",[rectime],[cleartime]),DateDiff("n",[rectime],[cleartime])) AS ElapsedTime, tblCalls.[Seniority ID], tblCalls.[Dispatch Date and Time], tblCalls.Location, tblCalls.Source, tblCalls.Activity, tblCalls.Disposition, tblCalls.[Criminal Reports], tblCalls.[Traffic Citation #], tblCalls.[Misd Arrests], tblCalls.[FI's Issued], tblCallType.[Call Type], tblCalls.[Felony Arrests], tblCalls.[Other Reports], tblCalls.[DUI Arrests], tblShiftInfo.[Vehicle Number], tblShiftInfo.District, tblShiftInfo.[Starting Mileage], tblShiftInfo.[Ending Mileage], tblShiftInfo.[Beginning Shift Date], tblShiftInfo.Watch, tblShiftInfo.[Team Number], tblShiftInfo.[Duty Type], tblShiftInfo.[Ending Shift Date]
    FROM (tblShiftInfo INNER JOIN tblCalls ON tblShiftInfo.[Seniority ID] = tblCalls.[Seniority ID]) INNER JOIN tblCallType ON tblCalls.[Call Type] = tblCallType.[Call Type ID]

Then this

SELECT *.qryCallLog
    FROM qryCallLog
    WHERE (qryCalLog.[Seniority ID]=[Please enter your seniority ID:]) AND (qryCallLog.[Dispatch Date and Time] Between [Please enter your shift start date:] AND Date())

hi thanks for looking into my query for me. I think you are right by splitting up the queries. My only issue with that is that I will need to prompt the use for a lot of criteria, which may wind up being tedious. Do you know if it is possible to use a form, that users can put selections into, and in the background, that form is actually running a query with the users selections? I will then need the query to display the information in a report. Does that make sense?
    FunkyG

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Yes, you can use an unbound (not bound to a table or query) form with textboxes to accept the criteria. You would base the form on the query (less the WHERE clause). You would then use a button on that form to open the report. You would use the criteria entered to filter the report as it opens.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.