coogami is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

date tracking

Our database tracks projects by customer, date, etc. I recently generated a report listing projects started since March of this year, and my boss asked for a column on the report showing which projects are new customers; i.e., which of those customers had no projects BEFORE March 1. I can't figure out how to write a query that, within this report, will flag customers that have no projects before 3/1/11. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Here's one way of doing it:

1. Create a new query [QryExistingCustomers] that shows customers who have projects before March 1 of this year.

Eg:
    Code:

Select Distinct CustomerName 
    From TableName
    Where ProjectDate < #3/01/2011#
    2. Create another new query that uses the above [QryExistingCustomers] and whatever the data source os for your report [is it a table or a query?].

In Design View:
    Select the Table/Query that is the data source for your report.
    Select [QryExistingCustomers] that you just created.
    Join CustomerName between the two.
    Right-click the line joining the two sources.
    Click Join Properties.
    Select 2 to make sure you get all records from your report data source and matching rows from [QryExistingCustomers],
    Select all your fields from your existing report data source.
    Select CustomerName from [QryExistingCustomers].
    Where it says 'CustomerName' - type this:
    NewCustomer: IIF([QryExistingCustomers].[CustomerName] Is Null, "New Customer", "")

Run your query.
    Wherever there was no project for a customer before March 1, 2011 - it will now say "New Customer" - otherwise - nothing will show.

Hope this helps!

Windows XP Access 2003

Date Tracking

Thanks, Robin. It works, but the report repeats the current project(s) multiple times for customers that DO have projects prior to 3/1/11; it appears to match the number of projects prior to 3/1/11, as if it repeats the current project(s) for every Not Null return from QryExistingCustomers. Makes the report REALLY big, and awfully repetitive.

Robeen is offline VIP
    I think your join is wrong [I might be to blame].
    The join you have should give you all the records that are in the table/query that is the data source for the report - and no extras.

Any chance that you can post the SQL of your query here?

Robeen is offline VIP
    The only difference should be that there will be an extra field on the query that shows either 'New Customer" - or an Empty String.

That's the nature of the Join [Show all records from the left table . . .].
    Last edited by Robeen; 10-21-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo

Windows XP Access 2003

date tracking

Thanks, Robeen (sorry I misspelled your name before; I'm a little harried today).

Here's the SQL from the date query:
    SELECT [Project Information].[Customer ID]
    FROM [Project Information]
    WHERE ((([Project Information].[Date RFQ Recd])<#3/1/2009#));

from the original report query (CPG RFQs Submitted):
    SELECT [Project Information].[New RFQ ID], [Project Information].[Date RFQ Recd], [Customer Information].[Customer Name], [Project Information].[Actual Date Sent], [Project Information].[Project Comments], [Project Information].[B/L/D/U], [Project Information].AE, [Project Information].RSM, [Project Information].[Project Name], [Customer Information].[Customer ID]
    FROM [RIA Codes] RIGHT JOIN ([Customer Information] LEFT JOIN (([Project Information] LEFT JOIN [Cost Tracking by RFQ 2] ON [Project Information].[New RFQ ID] = [Cost Tracking by RFQ 2].[New RFQ ID]) LEFT JOIN [Employee Information] ON [Project Information].AE = [Employee Information].Initials) ON [Customer Information].[Customer ID] = [Project Information].[Customer ID]) ON [RIA Codes].[Application Code] = [Project Information].[Robotic Application Code]
    WHERE ((([Project Information].[New RFQ ID]) Not Like "*.*") AND (([Project Information].[Date RFQ Recd]) Between [Enter beginning date (format ##/##/##)] And [Enter end date (format ##/##/##)]) AND (([Project Information].RSM) Like "DWM" Or ([Project Information].RSM) Like "TJP" Or ([Project Information].RSM) Like "SGS" Or ([Project Information].RSM) Like "DSM" Or ([Project Information].RSM) Like "WJM"))
    ORDER BY [Project Information].[Date RFQ Recd], [Project Information].AE;

and the join query:
    SELECT [CPG RFQs Submitted].[New RFQ ID], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Date RFQ Recd], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Customer Name], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Actual Date Sent], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Project Comments], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[B/L/D/U], [CPG RFQs Submitted].AE, [CPG RFQs Submitted].RSM, [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Project Name], [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Customer ID], IIf([Customer Dates].[Customer ID] Is Null,"Yes","") AS NewCustomer
    FROM [Customer Dates] RIGHT JOIN [CPG RFQs Submitted] ON [Customer Dates].[Customer ID] = [CPG RFQs Submitted].[Customer ID];

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.