I have been scouring the net looking for a solution to prevent a Subreport from printing blank when there are no records in the Subreport, but I haven't found any other solution beside what I stumbled upon today. Just to give some background, the subreports that I am referring to are necessary for equations in fields on the Main Report to be carried out without error's. So, just referencing a field on the main report is not an option for me (See the Custom Function NNZ here: http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0022.htm -- Thanks Pbaldy for mentioning this link which may help others).

So, I have a subreport that is using a predefined query for it's record source. In the event that there are no records caught by the query, my subreport would appear blank when printed (or Print Preview) and any equations on the Main Report using the fields in the subreport would error out and make the overall report UGLY. To prevent this from occuring, I simply added an new field into my query to return any value or a specific field from a Form that is used. For example:

Field: Year: 2013
Table:
Total: Group By
Sort:
Show:
Criteria:

The above will add a "2013" in the "Year" field to any rows that are found in the query, and will also only create a single record if there are no records found by the other criteria in the query.

Now, you don't need to use this field in your report, but it does need to be a part of the query in order for a single record to be returned. Also, I know that this can generate additional information that is not needed, but if it will get you a subreport to print, I think that the results trump the extra data.

This has helped me with making sure my reports are accurate and don't appear with errors and I am hoping that this may help others as well.