mediaguy28 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Match List to Master Record

I am not an access expert and only use it peripherally. I have two tables pertaining to user access. One is a master role table that contains different profile access that we want the user to maintain. The other table is a list of ID's and all the profile access a user has in the system. Each user has multiple lines on the table. The only unique feature is the different profiles. We want to see how many users have access that match the master role table and give the role name if there is a match (and see anything that doesn't match). The only thing to match on between the two tables is the profile name (but the same profile can appear in multiple role names). I have to provide to my boss a spreadsheet that shows a single line for a user ID and the Role Name we believe they have. I've been screwing around with this for hours and am completely lost. Any ideas? Thanks

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You may want to do some searching on RBAC - Role Based Access Control.
    It is not a trivial subject.
    Do you have documentation on the method/mechanism used on the database(s) in question?

mediaguy28 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I was only provided the data output from the queries and asked to try to match the user data to the defined job role. I know the team is currently looking at a more comprehensive RBAC solution but for right now we are just out of the gate with this process and I was tasked with trying to match the users access to the defined role. Im still running into roadblocks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.