Shayne is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy Missing Records in a Table (Access 2003)

I have a database a former employee created. I am not sure of the original version he used; however, I am using Access 2003. The problem I am having is when I add a record to a particular table the record will show up after it has been saved but then a few days later when I open up the same table the record is gone. Any ideas why?

I do not believe the number of records is the issue but just in case there are 1025 total records in this particular table.

Thank you.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Are you counting records before and after you add a new one? Depending on how the database is built the 'save' of the record may be being cancelled before the record is actually added.

Shayne is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I have. The application that was built using Access 2003 has the functionality of adding a record by using a dialog box. Once the dialog box is open you click on "Add New", you enter the data you want to add for that record and then you click on "Save". When you go back into the table the record is there. A day or so later when I go back into the database the record is gone.

It's baffling me.

Shayne is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I misspoke...the application was NOT created in Access 2003....sorry.

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Number of records is non-issue. Do the records continue to show up if you close the database, and then reopen it in a few seconds? In other words, are they really saved to the object you are opening, or are they being saved in a termporary table? Are there Visual Basic routines in the database?

Shayne is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, I have closed the database and reopened it and the record is there. It's been so long since I've used Access...how can I determine if the database incorporates VBA?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    When you open the database are you getting any sort of sharing violation message if you go to the design view of a form or table or report? Is the folder part of any backup routine that may be replacing a file by error. Have you attempted copying the database to a new location, putting some data directly on the table or through the form and seeing if the data then sticks?

Is there any VBA code in the database either in modules, buttons, on close, on open events, etc? Have you gone through all of the code to make sure none of it is undoing data entered?

hertfordkc is offline 18 year novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I skipped Access 2003, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Yes, I have closed the database and reopened it and the record is there. It's been so long since I've used Access...how can I determine if the database incorporates VBA?
    if you have a menu item "Database Tool", look at it for VBA. Click VBA and the code associated with a form should show up. Also, there may be a main module. Don't rule out macros either. Check them out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.