Phoenyxsgirl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Ok .. need to bounce an idea off your head!

ssanfu --- or anyone else....

here is the thing. i have 4 teams that need access to the worksite database. I understand I can put it on Sharepoint and grant them all access.

What I WANT to do is give each of them their OWN database that can communicate with Sharepoint and Sharepoint can communicate with theirs but each team's database doesn't have to communicate with the other teams.

From what I understand, I would accomplish this by transferring the database to Sharepoint then having each team import and export to their own file.

Would this work? Am I going about it wrong? Any suggestions?

Fundamental info: There are four teams in one program. Each team has their own information that never tranfers to other teams. The employees can change from one team to another. We do not have a local network server but we do have access to Sharepoint. I have NEVER used or seen Sharepoint but I have learned how to use it and will have to review that when this is put into place.

Thank you for your help!

Phoenyx's girl

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You are facing 2 problems here:
    1. Multiple concurrent user logon of your database
    2. Remote access to the database

The easiest way to solve number 1 would be to split your database. A way to solve #2 is to use Sharepoint. The issue here is that you cannot simply split a database and put the backend on Sharepoint and expect it to work.
    Options:
    1. Find another way to create a multi-user environment other than splitting.
    There are ways to do this through VBA and a Google search should be fruitful. It can get rather complicated, though, and I can't confirm that any of them will work with Sharepoint.
    2. Dont use Sharepoint.
    If VPN is an option, the simplest way would be to store the backend on on a shared drive and the front end on the local machines. You VPN in and connect to the shared drive which allows you access the backend.

Just some ideas that will hopefully lead to a solution that works best.

Red face Hmmm thank you!

Replies are so gratefully welcomed .. Thank you!

Question - I thought I had found the answer in #1: Moving the database to Sharepoint and #2: Linking local access tables to that database. But you said don't use sharepoint. Can you expound? Would this not work?

Windows XP Access 2003
    AFAIK, Sharepoint doesn't work like a network drive. The way a split database works is by providing the front end the physical location of the backend tables (//server/folder/file.extension). Sharepoint lists don't have that. I am not aware of a way to link to the physical location of a file on Sharepoint. I did a search on Google before my search and from what I found, a split database with a FE on a local machine and a BE on Sharepoint didn't work. I cant confirm as I have not tried it. Feel free to try it out. Shouldn't take much time.

I think I'm going to try just linking to Sharepoint without splitting the database.
    http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blog...ost.aspx?ID=68

Its not the easiest to set up but neither is the database. LOL

Windows XP Access 2003
    I doubt you'll be able to get multiple concurrent users that way. That's the problem splitting it would have solved. If you notice, when you open up a database, a lock file is created where the database is stored keeping people to read-only permissions while you are in the db.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    1 Multi-User: If you don't split the database into a FE/BE, you *will* corrupt the database - it is not a question of IF, just WHEN!
    Also, if the database is not split, only the first that opens the database person can make entries, all the rest are read only.

2 You don't need a local network server, just a local network with a shared drive or folder (preferably a top lever folder). Place the BE there and link each FE to the BE. (a LAN, not a WAN)

hmmm well then what about this?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...159.aspx?CTT=1

This is what I'm planning to do so far.. I have the opportunity to use Sharepoint but we don't have a network server or a back end computer to use..

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...313.aspx?CTT=1

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    This is what I'm planning to do so far.. I have the opportunity to use Sharepoint but we don't have a network server or a back end computer to use..

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...313.aspx?CTT=1
    I haven't used Sharepoint or know anything about it (yet -but soon I hope to ), but here is another site to read that might help:
    http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-...-business.aspx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.