swat is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

query iif statement help

Hello again all,

Looking for help with my nested if statement, it works correctly for the "if true" and "then" parts. Here is what I have for a query field:

Gas_Capacity: IIf(Year([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Date_Changed])>[year],IIf(([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Removal]=False),[Equipment].[Gas Capacity],"0"))

My problem is, if there is no "year(...)" greater than "[year]" on the table, the query returns a blank field (is this a null). How do I get the query to recognize a "" as a false return on the first "if true"?

Hmm, now that I think of it, it could possibly be an infinite return of falses if set up wrong. My head is spinning...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

swat is offline Novice
    I have also tried to leave it as a blank using the same iif statement, then creating another query with:
    1st query:
    Gas_CapacityAdded: Sum(IIf(Year([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Date_Changed])>[year],IIf(([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Removal]=False),[Equipment].[Gas Capacity],"0")))
    2nd Query:
    EquipAddedAfter: IIf([EquipAfterCurrent].[Gas_CapacityAdded]="","0",[EquipAfterCurrent].[Gas_CapacityAdded])

But that returns an error in the field, no pop up though.

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    How about:

Gas_Capacity: IIf(Year(Nz([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Date_Changed],0))>[year],IIf(([Equip_Add_Rem_Log].[Removal]=False),[Equipment].[Gas Capacity],0))

By the way, I took the quotes off of the 0 at the end because I am assuming based on the field name that it is a NUMBER and not TEXT. But you can correct me if wrong.

swat is offline Novice
    Thank you for the quick reply Bob. You were correct for the 0. The Nz statement didn't work, but now that I am reading up on it, it looks like it should work. I will keep reading about it and see what I can come up with. Thank you again.

swat is offline Novice
    I think I got it to work, I used the nz in the second query and got it to work.

EquipCapAddedAfter: Nz([EquipAfterCurrent].[Gas_CapacityAdded],0)

I just hate having so many queries to get to the end, but if it works then that is what matters I guess.

Thank you again for your help sir.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.