WSUAccess is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Pull maximum dollar amount in a paragraph

I have thousands of paragraphs with dollar amounts, and I need to pull the dollar amount in each. I am querying a database, so I must use Access for this one. The dollar amount could be anywhere in the paragraph. Here are some examples of the dollar amount formats:

$1,000 / $1000 / $1k / $45 / $585.

Please help! I'm not smart enough to figure this one out. Thanks in Advance.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    So the $ sign is always present? Is there only one dollar amount in each paragraph? Is each paragraph in a table field?
    If yes to all, try a function that will check the string for the variations and return correct result. Something like:
    Code:
    Public Function DollarAmt(s As String) As Double
    If InStr(s, "$") Then
        s = Mid(s, InStr(s, "$") + 1)
        If Mid(s, Len(Trim(Val(s))) + 1, 1) = "k" Then
            s = Val(s) & "000"
        Else
            s = Val(Replace(s, ",", ""))
        End If
    Else
        s = 0
    End If
    DollarAmt = s
    End Function
    Then call the function in a query or textbox like: DollarAmt([fieldname])
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes, the $ sign is always present. Sometimes there are multiple $ signs in one paragraph, and ideally I would like the max one, but I assumed it wasn't possible. And each paragraph is in its own seperate table field.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

June7 is online now VIP
    It is possible to find all dollar amounts in each paragraph. Just a more complex function. Need variable to hold the found amount and test it against the next found, set variable to the greater. As long as the $ presence can be depended on, keep whittling down the paragraph string with string manipulation until no more $ to be found. Set up another variable to hold the 'whittled' string. This will all involve looping structure. A condition for the loop to continue might be: Do While InStr(w,"$") > 0. Once you understand string manipulation and looping concept, simply an exercise in logic. Good one to learn on.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I haven't quite figured out how to make it count all the $ signs, then run a DO WHILE statement. But the query does pull at least one dollar amount from each paragraph, and that is far more than I could have done on my own.

June7, Thank you so much for your help.

June7 is online now VIP
    You don't count the $ signs. You 'whittle' the string using string manipulation functions. Roughly, the logic is: Find a $ sign, truncate the string value up to position of $ +1, extract amount, compare amount variables, reset number and string variables, repeat in loop until no $ encountered and the maximum amount is returned.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.