rjurke is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Creating new database

Hi

This is my first post on here as I am relatively new to ms access. I am using access 2010 for a project at work.

Basically I need a database to record faults which are found on a production line.

I need to be able to enter new faults to the record and the user (in read only) needs to be able to search for faults using four categories with cascade combo boxes (machine type, machine spec, fault type, symptom)

This will be used to aid production to search for common faults and hopefully help them to identify the fault cause which they have.

I have already created a table with my fields in where the faults will be recorded and a form which will be used to enter new faults into the database.

What I need now is a box to search for faults with the four cascade combo boxes and a report which will be generated with the records of all the faults which are within these boundaries.

I need to know what objects I use for this function, how I get the combo boxes to work in cascade and also how I get the report to be generated and list only the faults that the user needs to view.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Go to this site. Scroll down to the tutorials on Combo Boxes.

http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm

Alan

rjurke is offline Novice
    Thanks for that, those tutorials are very helpful.
    However I tried to follow them exactly and now my combo boxes are empty?

For anyone to figure it out now, you will have to post your db with sample data so that we can discern the issue.

Alan

rjurke is offline Novice
    I have managed to figure it out with the tutorials now Alan.

However now I have my form with the combo boxes working correctly, how do i then open a report of faults based on the criteria in the combo boxes?

Richard

Again, without seeing your structure, it is difficult to answer. Suggest you post a sanitized copy of your db so we can see the whole picture.

Stingaway is offline Efficiency Junkie
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The deep south. Keep going until you hit water basically.
    Alan is right - its difficult to conceptualize without seeing it, but I will offer this. Typically if I have a form with a combo box that has selection criteria that I want on a report, I will name that combo box something memorable and not as ambiguous as combo6 - something like cmb_order_number (for order numbers, etc..). From there I will design my query that will be the data source for my report - in one of the columns I will put the order number field from my table and in the criteria area will put =[Forms]![FormName]![ComboboxName] - where FormName is the name of my form and ComboboxName is the name of my combo box.

So in the example above, if cmb_order_number is my combo box and my form is called frm_Main, the criteria in my Order Number column would look like =[Forms]![frm_Main]![cmb_order_number].

Now that I have written it out you will probably get why Alan said it was difficult to answer without seeing it.. :-)

Hope this helps,

-stingaway

rjurke is offline Novice
    Thanks for all your help Alan and Stingaway I now have my database working as I want it to, I have my table for storing the fault records, a form which is used to enter new faults to the records and a form which is used to search for fault records which then opens up my report with selected fault records.

I have one more question which may be out of my technical expertise and I may need to get in contact with our IT department. How easy is it to have the document in a read only format where the user is presented with the form for searching the records. If you understand what I mean.

Again any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Richard

Will all users be read only or will you require different levels of permission, ie. Read only, Editor, Administrator?

Alan

rjurke is offline Novice
    Basically we have a pc on the production line where operators may search for records using the database, I want them to open the program and be presented with the form for searching for records only, if that is possible?

I and the rest of the engineers will have access to the database for editing and so on but I will be controlling the database and entering the new fault records.

Richard

This is how I set up permissions. It is menu driven and very slick. Takes a bit of work to set up, but once in place can be easily managed.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248191

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.