abodi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Assistance in form/query

Hey guys i'm pretty much an Access noob, and i'm unsure of the terminology so i'll just explain what i want to achieve, and hopefully you good folks can help.

Essentially there will be a form that will enquiry information into a table.
    one of the main items will be a list of people which you would choose from a dropdown list.

What i want to know is can we have the form so that if we choose a person in the list (hitting an update button or something would also be fine) and that then would i guess run a query on the table to see if they have made enquiries previously, and if it counts say 5 or more enquiries it shows an alert (textbox) or perhaps a popup message, alerting the person entering the data that the person with the enquiry has reach the limit.

sorry if that is not clear.

Many thanks
    Samuel.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Samuel

Welcome to the forum.

If I have understood your requirements correctly, then I think that the kind of thing that you want to do is pretty standard stuff for Access.

I would suggest that you need two tables.
    One for data on the people making enquiries, with data about the the person (PersonID, FirstName, LastName, DOB, Address, etc)
    Second table for data of each enquiry (EnquiryID, PersonID, EnqDate etc)
    Try to avoid using spaces in the field and table names.
    Create a one to many relationship between the tables, (one person can make many enquiries) using the PersonID field of each table.
    Create main form bound to the first table and a subform which is bound to the Enquiries table.
    The main form could have a combo box from which you could select a person. Use the AfterUpdate event of the combo box to find the record for that person. Details of any previous enquiries from that person would then be shown in the subform.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.