Ojaybee is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Rename fields and update throughout DB

Hi,

I'm working on cleaning a database at the moment. It has around 60 tables, numerous queries, and a quite a few forms. Data from the database needs to be useable in ArcGIS 10 (a lot of the data is georeferenced). The problem I have is that ArcGIS will not accept tables that have field names with spaces in them. The person who built the original database has field names with spaces (fail).

What I want to do is go through in design view and systematically remove all the spaces from field names. The problem is that as soon as I change a field name in a table, the ripple effect is to corrupt the whole database. Queries are not automatically updated, the relationships between tables vanish (relationship view > show all relationships).

Compact and repair does not work with this database, I think because it was built in Access 2002 and I'm running 2010.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Recommend Rick Fisher's Find and Replace. More than worth the cost of about $50. Was a lifesaver for me in early stages of project development. http://www.rickworld.com/download.html

If you want to upgrade project, need to create a new 2010 file and import everything, assuming it can import 2002.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.