badmad34 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

How to keep multiple lines when importing data from Excel to Access

Hello,

I face a multiple line problem when i try to import data from Excel to Access db. Is it possible to keep multiple lines of a cell after transferring to Access. Since Access see any ceel of Excel as a Field, it takes all the lines as a line in the same row. I am not sure if this can be solved without VBA.

In enclosed, you can see a sample Access document. I put a point(.) between every lines in the same field manually. Is it possible to split up those data from these points and make a new line in the same field by VBA? For example,

BEFORE:
    1) 232N1635-2.2) 412N1168-7
    ------------------------------
    AFTER:
    1) 232N1635-2.
    2) 412N1168-7

Your earliest response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What you're asking is possible, I don't know how this data is supposed to be divided up but you'd end up making a normalized table. How does this data go together if you start splitting it up?

I'm assuming you can have an unlimited number of tools per TaskCode so you would have a table that had the primary key of the TaskCode and a list of tools that went with that task.

Then I'm also assuming that Material, Description and Quantity are all related to one another so you'd have another table that carried the TaskCode unique identifier and all of these three pieces of information split up correctly but is it possible to have 3 materials and only 2 descriptions, or 3 materials, 2 descriptions and 1 quantity? In other words mismatching numbers of items in each of these three fields.

The consumables I'm guessing is much like the Tools, in that you will have a list of consumables for each task that will be listed independently of the other two items.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.