abner is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

form locked backend side

maybe the title should be: form fields became uneditable
    I have a large access2003 database, split to FrontEnd and BackEnd parts. it worked fine for several years. lately something has changed. the problem now is that I cannot modify any of the fields through a certain form that uses data from several tables (other forms in the database work fine). I found a backup of the database where the form works fine. if I take the FE part from the backup and use it with the current BE, the form still does not work (i.e. cannot edit fields).
    from a glance, the current form properties seems the same as in the backup working database.
    this problem has occured while using the database, so it should be something related to erronous keystriking.
    what might be the obvious places to look for when trying to find out, why the records cannot be edited anymore ?

Thanks

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the RecordSource of the form? If it is a qyery, can you open the query directly and make changes? If not, the query is not updateable and this link may help: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

abner is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    thanks ruralguy for the quick response.
    when entering the form a message appears on the status bar below: "running query, the recordset is not updatable"
    if i understand correctly, the list you've mentioned relates mostly to programming errors leading to uneditable fields.
    in my case, there was no intentional programing and only one form (out of five forms), does not allow editing, so my guess is that it is not related to database security issues, that if present would have effected all forms (in addition the form properties are set to allow editing (3 such propoerties))
    my only hints are:
    1) the problem relates to the Backend part (is that data-part and not Form programing?) because when restoring a backend file from an old backup, the form seems to work fine, with the current front-end.
    2) the problem was most likely caused by some error while typing-in data OR some wrong keystroke by a user that has set something to the form.
    any additional inputs are welcomed, Thanks
    Last edited by abner; 09-05-2011 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    What is the RecordSource of the form? If it is a query, can you open the query directly and make changes?
    And the answer to this question is?

abner is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    i'm not sure, the form was built with the form-wizard taking fields from a few tables. i believe it did not make use of query.
    for a non-editable field (in the form) the properties are:
    the row source type is: table/query
    the row source has a command: SELECT status.ID, status.Field1 FROM status;

Taking fields from several table requires a join and could easily create a non-updateable RecordSource. Press the "..." button next to the RowSource entry and try and change any entry in the query that's built. If it beeps at you then it is not updateable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.