Juan4412 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Auto Export Data

We are using a form that is designed from Visual Basic scripting that has text and then some fields that store answers (In an access database). Currently, we are having to copy/paste the text from Visual Basic scripting and paste it into the access database with the corresponding access field name.

My question is...is there a way to automate this processes?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't understand the question. Is this a single MS Access database or is the 'data entry' through a visual basic program and the back end is an access database?

If it's all the same database what are you cutting and pasting, can you provide a sample of the database? Just make a copy of your existing database and get rid of or change any information that needs to remain private, then just zip up the database and upload it here.

The front end is a VB application, and the values are saved into an access database. So the 'data entry' is done through the VB application, and the data storage is done via access.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I still don't understand the cutting and pasting then. When you enter data through your VB application front end the data should be stored in your Access tables. Are you saying that your vb application generates a set of values that you then have to physically open up a table in access to add information? I don't think I've ever heard of a 'data entry' system that would basically make you do it twice.

Maybe you could post some screen shots of exactly what you're talking about that would help me understand.

The copy/paste portion comes from let's say the VB application reads, "What is your name?" and then there is a textbox that stores the entry in access. What I am wanting to try to auto export if possible is the question associated with the textbox. So instead of having to copy/paste "What is your name?" into access, potentially set up some way to auto export it.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    When you use the VB application is it asking random questions in a random order and storing them out of order?

For instance let's say you have three questions

What is your Name
    What is your Car Brand
    What is your Favorite Color

Are these questions always asked in the same order or can they be asked in a different order, if they are asked in a different order are they stored in different fields or in the same field over and over?

I can't think of any reason why you'd want to copy the question to the table when the answer is already stored.

The questions can vary, as well as the order vary depending. Example A could ask
    What is your Name
    What is your Car Brand

And Example B could ask:
    What is your Car Brand
    What is your Name
    What is your License Plate

I am needing to copy over the questions as well as display the answers for a report that is needing to be created. Currently I just open the VB and copy/paste the answers into access, but was wondering if there was a easier way to do it than a straight copy/paste.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    So you must have a table of all 'valid' questions then. I can't think of a way to do what you want to do because it sounds like you're highlighting some text on a form and pasting it. The only thing you could do would be to a. redesign the vb form to accomodate entering both the question and the answer or b. designing a form in access instead of using the vb application

Right, The 'valid' questions table is what I am creating from copying/pasting from VB to access. I was afraid there was no easy way to do it other than status quo but had to ask because this is very time consuming.

We tried your solution A before but having access store the question in one field, and the answer in another created to many fields for access to handle and the database became very unstable.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Access can handle records with up to 255 fields if you are using that many or more chances are your database is not normalized which causes an undue amount of aggravation with programming as you're finding out.

There is another possible solution. How many questions do you actually have, and are all the questions asked but not necessarily in the same order, or are there a random number of questions and asked in a random order?

The biggest thing to find out is how many possible questions you have If you have a finite amount you might be able to modify your vb application to only append the answers to a question to a specific field of the record so that you know that Answer1 is always related to the question 'What type of car do you drive?'.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.