pratim09 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Query for non mandatory fields

I have a form which returns data based on few fields in a subform by requery.That is working fine if all my search critirea values are given.The record source of the subform is a query which returns data .Now my prob is I want say out of 5 fields sometimes 3 are given then also it wil serach according to 3 criteria and if all are given then it it will search with all criteria.Below is my query with all field giving value .

SELECT TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.TrackingId, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.ReleaseName, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.ProjectName, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.WorkIdentifier, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.DefectNo, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.HDTNo, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.TestType, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.Name, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.ActualMonth, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.WorkItem, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.Hours, TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.Comments
    FROM TBL_HOURS_TRACKING
    WHERE (((TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.ProjectName)=[Forms]![frmHoursTrackingModify]![cmbProjectName]) AND ((TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.WorkIdentifier)=[Forms]![frmHoursTrackingModify]![WorkId]) AND ((TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.Name)=[Forms]![frmHoursTrackingModify]![txtName]) AND ((TBL_HOURS_TRACKING.ActualMonth) Between [Forms]![frmHoursTrackingModify]![txtStartDate] And [Forms]![frmHoursTrackingModify]![txtEndDate]));

How do I make say date and porject name in the form non mandatory in the query

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you tried setting filter options for optional fields and turning the filter on/off as you need it?

for instance

dim sFilter as string

if not isnull(field1) then
    sFilter = "[FieldName] = '" & me.Field1 & "'"
    (text field example)
    else
    sFilter = ""
    Endif

me.filter = sfilter
    me.filteron = true

I'm not

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    <snip>How do I make say date and porject name in the form non mandatory in the query
    This might help with the project name....

http://access.mvps.org/access/queries/qry0001.htm

For the dates, you might have to default the start date control to something like "01/01/1902" and the end date control to "12/31/2050".

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.