scubagal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Required Fields

Hello everyone. I am in need of help with a form I have created. The form itself took me two weeks to make because I had figure it all out as I went. No Access training in my life. So here is what I need to do.

In a form I created I need to have all of the blocks where data is to be entered require data before it will save. I placed a button in the form called "Save" that saves then clears the data for the next person can enter anything. There are 7 blocks that a person will have to enter Name, gallons, initials, origin, date, time, gallons again. If one block gets left empty it will cause confusion. Is there a way to set the properties of each block so that when the save button is clicked it will throw up an error that one was left empty? Next is it possible to do it without having to go into the code? I am not database proficient as it is, add coding to the mix and my mind will explode. I also do not want the ppl entering data to be able to look back thru and see what other ppl have entered. Is that a possibility?

Please feel free to talk to me like I'm a kid cause at this point I feel like one. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Well, I kept on trying til I found the Validation Rules for a table. I set validations for all 7 of the fields and tested them in the form. So far so good. I am still open to better ways if anyone has any input. So I still need help with not allowing ppl to toggle back to see other entered data. Thanks again.

ketbdnetbp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

scubagal -

Have you tried changing the Data Entry Property of the form to YES?

This should preclude your user's from toggling back to previous records.

Hope that helps,

Jim

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You can also set the REQUIRED property of each field on your table to YES, if someone puts in a blank value, or tries to save a record that has a blank value a message box will pop up saying the record could not be added because it violated rules.

Thank you to all for the great advice. I was able to make the suggested changes and make them work. The next change I need to make is the Time field I have on the form. Right now you have to use military time to get am or pm. The filed property for the box is Time/Date but i can't find how to choose the type of date to enter. Any help there? Thanks in advance and a big thanks for not making me feel like an idiot for not knowing what I am doing.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you want to enter it as military time go to the design of your form click the field you want to be military time and open the PROPERTIES window, if you go to the FORMAT property you should be able to choose a military time (short time is the name). You can also add an input mask so that people can not enter data that is outside the range you want.

I have made a mistake that I can't figure out how to fix. I accidentally deleted one of the fields in my form while it was in layout view. I didn't think I was going to need it but I do. I can't figure out how to get it back without starting over again. Is there a way to add a field back to the form?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    in the design view of the form on your ribbon at the top there should be a few tabs one of them is design, in that tab there should be an icon for 'add existing fields'. As long as your form is based on a query or table you'll find the field you deleted by clicking on that and scrolling through the list.

Thank you so much. I was really sweating it there for a while. now all I need to do is figure out the little shading I had on it. Thank you for all of the help.

I have set the data entry property of the form to yes, but unless you shut the database down and bring it back up you can still toggle between records. I created the database using 2010 but it is running on a laptop with 2007. Is there a problem with that? I want the records to save and clear but right now they aren't. Any help?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.