asmith78 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Talking Help! Database has been placed in a state by user _ on machine _ that prevents

I am creating a database in Access 2003 for multi-users. However, when my co-worker and I both try to open it one of us receives the following error:

("The database has been placed in a state by user <name> on machine <name> that prevents it from being opened or locked")

I have done some research on this error and seen that a lot of people suggest splitting the db to a FE and BE. I have created db's like that in Access 97 (we are a bit behind with technology unfotunately) and everyone can get into them just fine but I think that is more due to the security .mdw file we have set up with that Access 97 db.

All the threads I read about the above current error in 2003 say that you then have to place the FE copy on all users PCs. But I am confused as to how they will then get any changes or updates to the db if they don't constantly add the new FE to their PCs?!?!!?

Any assistance would be much appreciated as our deadline for creating this db is nearing! Is there another way around this error?

Thanks,
    Amy

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    As far as getting new versions of the UI (front-end) you have 3 options:
    1) Notify all users of a new version of the UI and have them grab a copy from a specific location
    2) Get a software package that will update the UIs for you. There are free (simple) and paid (robust) versions of this. A Google search will bring up many.
    3) write the code to do #2 on your own.

I would definitely get used to splitting your db right now, not only for the issue you have now with the locks, but for when you upgrade to 2007+ and find that user level security is gone. Splitting your db in conjunction with writing your own user security will make your database much more effective and secure.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.