Juicejam is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Multiple forms or embedded sub-forms

Help, please.

I need to display about 8 or 10 records in a query simultaneously on screen using forms. I cannot use continuous forms as I need each record and therefore each form ordered VERTICALLY. There will need to be some user interaaction to each form. For clarity, this is a restaurant kitchen screen displaying multiple current orders so a kitchen staff would need to see the order and then interface to say when the order is cooked/prepared.

I have tried using each of the 8 or 10 forms as subforms on a main form and then use the gotorecord command to toggle each form to its desired record number. However, once embedded as subforms an error is returned indicating that the form isnt open thefore the macro halts. I use a macro to drive the gotorecord command.

I am considering using multiple individual forms but the problem I would have then would be positioning the forms correctly so there is no overlap, no maximising or other distortion of the positions of each form etc. As I mentioned, other users need to use the interface so I fear they will click or move the forms out of place.

Is there an easy way to have multiple subforms on one form? Or would I need to go to the multiple form solution and use code to position each form separately on the screen? If so, how do I account for varying screen resolutions on different computers???

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by Juicejam; 08-23-2011 at 08:23 AM.

robsworld78 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If I understand, forget all the forms and subforms, and set the form to continuous

Then drag all the field labels to the "form header" and align them horizontally in the order you want. (they must be in the "form header" section)

Then drag all the fields that are bound to the table and have them in the "detail" section of the form aligned horizontally under the correct label.

Then make sure you slide the form footer up to the bottom of the fields on the "detail" section of the from. The detail section should only be as high as 1 horizontal line. If the "details" section is 3" high each record will have a 3" gap on the screen so this is important.

Now when you open the form all the orders will show up like they would on a report.

If you have 10 orders you will have 10 lines showing, if you have 8 orders you have 8 lines showing. In design view you will only see the one of course.

Juicejam is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2003
    THanks Robsworld but I think I mislead you, so sorry- I only spotted this when I re-read my initial post. I need the forms displayed VERTICALLY side by side not horizontally which is why I cant use continuous forms.

My apologies again, and thanks for the input, but any other solution?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.