MikeMairangi is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Returning PK after append?

I want to append CUSTORDER table that has a seperate ORDERLINE table and I am having issues doing this. If I create a new CUSTORDER I need to obtain the CUSTORDER.ID in order to add records to ORDERLINE. I have added the relationship diagram for this which I think is correct, but doubting it now as I would need to return the PK FROM custorder to add ORDERLINE and this is the problem!!

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers from a very cold New Zealand

Mike

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Not understanding the issue. Are you using form/subform arrangements? Main form bound to CustOrder, subform bound to OrderLine. Master/Child linking will synchronize the data. Start a new CustOrder record and OrderLine records will automatically record the CustOrder ID when data entered in subform.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I added a button that created a new CustOrder and then Opened a form that I wanted to add Orderlines to. When doing this I needed to identify the CustOrder PK that had been created in order to add the OrderLines but couldn't get this to return the value correctly, i.e. I had no unique criteria to select it. I'll add a Form and SubForm bound in line with your response and see if I can get this to work.

Many thanks for your assistance it is much appreciated!!

Cheers

Mike

I've changed the source for the main form to CustOrder and created a subform bound to OrderLines but I'm stuck now as to how I go about creating an order. i.e. what's next!! Sorry I'm sure this is simple but the problem is so am I

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Controls (text, combo, list boxes) on forms bound (set ControlSource property) to fields of respective RecordSource. Data entered into controls is entered directly to table. Records commit to table when form closes or move to new record or code is run to save record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you so much. After a far bit of head scratching it is now working! Really appreciate your help and have a great weekend

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.