Coffee is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

OverFlow Error.

Hello,

I am exporting my data from a Microsoft Access Report to a Excel speardsheet and occasionally i receive an error which just displays "Overflow".

- When i try export a full days data i receive an Overflow error. however if i export half the day and then the other half. both parts export without an error so it cant be a numeric issue.

i also read this on another forum.

"Most likely it means that the size of a numeric value that is being imported
    into a table is *too large* or *too small* for the field type. For example,
    a field that is set for Integer can handle values between -32,768 and
    32,767. If you try to put the number 1,000,0000 into this field, the
    "overflow" message error will occur."

-when i export it will export fine up to 32,724 data values fine, but if i try to export any more i receive the overflow error. could this be related? because there is no integer value that is recording this. or is it built into excel and counting the values as integer and then overflows?

i am at a loss, feel free to comment for more information or too help,

thanks in advance!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I'm pretty sure that is the limit of rows for a spreadsheet in < Excel 2007.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    I'm pretty sure that is the limit of rows for a spreadsheet in < Excel 2007.
    I just checked Excel 2000 and the max is 65,536 rows. But that is a blank sheet.......

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    I just checked Excel 2000 and the max is 65,536 rows. But that is a blank sheet.......
    Thanks Steve. I stand corrected there.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    try exporting it to a csv file and see what happens, just mentioning this because csv files can be opened with excel without any issue and if it is a problem with the number of records a .csv can handle that a bit better.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Hello,

I am exporting my data from a Microsoft Access Report to a Excel speardsheet and occasionally i receive an error which just displays "Overflow".

- When i try export a full days data i receive an Overflow error. however if i export half the day and then the other half. both parts export without an error so it cant be a numeric issue.

i also read this on another forum.

"Most likely it means that the size of a numeric value that is being imported
    into a table is *too large* or *too small* for the field type. For example,
    a field that is set for Integer can handle values between -32,768 and
    32,767. If you try to put the number 1,000,0000 into this field, the
    "overflow" message error will occur."

-when i export it will export fine up to 32,724 data values fine, but if i try to export any more i receive the overflow error. could this be related? because there is no integer value that is recording this. or is it built into excel and counting the values as integer and then overflows?

i am at a loss, feel free to comment for more information or too help,

thanks in advance!
    the reason excel is limited to the amount of rows you can use is strictly a memory issue. It's based on the memory limits for the programs that you're using which has been set in the OS. See here for instance:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...010073849.aspx

It's basically the same answer you get when you ask why you can't use a number bigger than 2147483647 for LONG data types in access. It's because the memory allocated for that data types is only allocated on a 32-bit basis. e.g. - When visual basic passes the LONG value to the processor, it's going to convert it into a binary bit string and it's only allowed to use 32 1's and 0's to interpret that value. Moreover, the rules change for DOUBLE data types. The processor is allowed to use more bits for interpretation purposes.

Excel's limitations are a consequence of the same specification from the OS manufacturer. In this case, it's MS.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.