Pethorr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Possibilities for remote access to Access-database?

Hi all, please forgive me as this must be a question that has been asked a million of times but I will try here anyway.

I have made a database in Access from scratch that helps me and my group (only 4 people total) keeping track of our tasks. Additionally, we work together with many other people spread around the world who each have their own system to keep track of the same tasks.
    We have recently discussed the benefits of having a single database to store and relate all this information.
    Now after countless google-searches, I have not come up with a straightforward answer on how to make the database accessible to a remote user.

Possibilities I have looked into include:

1. Building a new database from scratch using a language suited for this

2. Storing the back-end of the database on an SQL server (ADP), using an Access front-end to view the data

3. Publishing the database using sharepoint online/Access services

4. Keep the present configuration and allow remote users to connect over a Citrix-client (the Citrix server needs to be updated with access 2010 for this)

Please keep in mind that I only have very basic programming experience and option 1. would almost surely be a no-go.
    A friend of mine is working on professional sharepoint solutions, so currently option 3 looks most appealing.
    Lastly, some of it is client-work so security is also an issue.

Any help on this would be very, very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Does a remote user have VPN access to network drives? If so, you can split the database, put the backend on the network drive and a copy of the front end on each person's desktop. Once you vpn in, it will be as if nothing happened.

Pethorr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    No, my cooperation only allows access to local drives through citrix.
    It is a good idea, I guess I could talk with my IT department if this could be a possibility.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you've got a web programmer it's possible to build everything in access and publish your forms as web pages (I've never done it myself but I know it can be done) which would allow your users to access the information anywhere. Just be aware, Access does not like more than about 5 users that are concurrently updating/editing/adding information to your database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.