View Poll Results: Normalize a Timesheet?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Normalize

0 0%
  • Denormalize

0 0%
    blazerboy6 is offline Trained Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Question To normalize or not

Here's my issue,

I'm attempting to create a timesheet in Access that I can front end forms to individual users, all linked to the tables on our server. We currently fill out an excel "time card" once a week and print it out, which we hand deliver to our admin staff. Needless to say this is an issue that I want to correct with a simple access database. The database design is not that complex, my issue is in creating user friendly forms for each two week pay-period, a datasheet form will not cut it for some of our employees.

I've attached the relationship report for the design I've got so far but I got stuck on the main form creation. I could violate 1NF and make this much easier on myself, but I thought I would ask for some guidance first. Should I denormalize or not?

Thanks,

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Personally I'd normalize. For data entry, I'd either use a form bound to a non-normalized temp table or an unbound form with all the textboxes the user wants to see. Then you append from either of those into your normalized table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

The issue I'm having with appending is twofold. First, it scares the heck out of me (but I can get past that...) Second, even if the append command was a final step to "submit" the form, it doesn't give people the chance to fill it out as the week goes. They'd either have to do it daily, or weekly, which would not alleviate the need to keep the excel forms we're currently using.

Unless the non-normalized temp table was filled out during the week and the append query was at the end of the week to submit the form... Does that make sense to anyone other than me?

Windows XP Access 2007
    You could certainly use the temp table (more accurately a local table since I wouldn't delete the table) to hold data during the week. Your "submit" button would append the data to the normalized table and then clear the local table. Since the table is local, different users would have their own copy, presuming a properly split database. That lets each user hold/submit their own data.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

That is a fantastic idea pbaldy, Thanks!

Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, let us know how it goes.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.