VBCode to detect Access 2003 vs 2007?

Hello,

Is there a code or method to detect which version of Access the user is using? Depending on whether it's 03 or 07 I want the export options to differ since 07 has PDF but 03 doesn't.

Alternately, is there a way to SendObject acFormatRTF if acFormatPDF isn't an option?

Thanks for your assistance!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    This works for both versions: http://www.lebans.com/reporttopdf.htm

Well, this isn't an installed version by me. So I'm unable to delete any system files. This is at my company. The access file will be on a shared drive.

In that case I believe Application.Version will tell you what you want.

boblarson is offline --------
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelsnecropolis View Post
    The access file will be on a shared drive.
    Umm - you should know that you should have this database split (backend with tables only and residing on the shared drive and a frontend with everything else and it should be a copy on EACH user's computer. This is the proper and safe way to set it up. If you don't want to have to mess with deployment for each frontend update, check out my free frontend Auto Update Enabling Tool referenced in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    In that case I believe Application.Version will tell you what you want.
    Im not able to test it just yet cause we're super busy but for version would I need to use just the year or the full number like 12.0.6535.5005?

i.e. If Application.Version = 2003 Then

Quote Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
    Umm - you should know that you should have this database split (backend with tables only and residing on the shared drive and a frontend with everything else and it should be a copy on EACH user's computer. This is the proper and safe way to set it up. If you don't want to have to mess with deployment for each frontend update, check out my free frontend Auto Update Enabling Tool referenced in my signature.
    Yeah I know. I hear this comment often, lol. Sadly that isn't feasable because it's used by like 200 ppl and we can't count on each of them making a copy to their personal drives or even knowing how to do so correctly.

But I don't have any tables to save info. It's basically used as a downtime form so ppl just have to input data and push a button to email it to someone to work at a later date. None of the info is being saved in Access.

Access 2002 (XP) returns 10.0 and Access 2007 12.0 so I would guess 2003 is 11.0.

Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Access 2002 (XP) returns 10.0 and Access 2007 12.0 so I would guess 2003 is 11.0.
    Awesome. I was able to test my version (12) and that worked great. So I just need to look at a coworkers version and have them test it.

I apprecate your help RuralGuy!

Glad we could help. I think you will find that Bob's FE Updater can deploy a split system just fine without the assistance of the users. They would not event know it was happening other that a delay at times..

boblarson is offline --------
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelsnecropolis View Post
    Yeah I know. I hear this comment often, lol. Sadly that isn't feasable because it's used by like 200 ppl and we can't count on each of them making a copy to their personal drives or even knowing how to do so correctly.
    By the way, I created my frontend auto update enabling tool because I was working for a large healthcare company at the time and they were using an Access database which kept getting corrupted. I figured out that they had over 100 people using it and all from a single source on the network. So I told them the same thing I told you and then I created this tool so that the admin person who was dealing with a lot of their databases could set up auto updating herself without much hassle.

So what it does is that once it is auto update enabled, the user opens their copy of the database. It checks to see if the version matches what is stored in the backend. And if not, then it tells the user that it is out of date, closes and deletes the old version, copies the new version to their computer and then automatically reopens it. And you don't have to worry about deploying any after the very first time.

I've had people from some large companies email me and tell me they are using it and like it.

Bobs FE Updater. I will check that out. Right now, on one access file, I have a function to close all other open instances when I need to do an update. But an easier method would be great.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.