accessnewb is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Edit table only via forms

Hi all,

I have this form and onClick of the button a VB code is executed. The code contains an insert query to insert values in a table. But the user can also add values directly by opening the table (I've hidden the table, but still, its easy to unhide it and add values).

Is there any way to edit table only via forms? Like, if the user tries to add values directly in the table, he should get an error message...something like "U can't add values directly! Enter via forms" or something like that...

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think the short answer is no, you can't. There are a bunch of ways to limit access to your tables but in essence, if someone knows their way around access they can get around the things blocking them.

For instance it's possible to have no linked tables in your database at all but it makes retrieval, updating, and adding records to your database a bit of a process if you're not comfortable with the VB side of Access.

Another option is to uninstall access on the machine in question and only install the run time components. This is really the only method I have found that can limit a person's ability to destroy a database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.