twb60 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Text Box Value Not Visible

Access 2003. I have a report based on a query where each query column was summed. Running the query displays the sum for each column (category) as expected with no errors. The report contains labels on the left stating the category name and the corresponding text box to the right of each label displays the sum value from the query for each category. So far so good, but here comes my problem. On the report, under the category labels and text boxes (still in detail section), I added a "Total" label and to the right of it a "Total" text box. Using the expression builder, I have =[SumOfWorking]+[SumOfPlanning]+[SumOfReceiving Instr]+[SumOfArea Gowning]+[SumOfAirlock]+[SumOfJob Safety]+[SumOfHandling Tools]+[SumOfHandling Materials]+[SumOfHandling Equipment]+[SumOfMaximo]+[SumOfDocument Review]+[SumOfClean up]+[SumOfWaiting Tools]+[SumOfWaiting Material]+[SumOfWaiting Permits]+[SumOfWaiting Other]+[SumOfTraveling]+[SumOfWaiting Equip Availability]+[SumOfTraining]+[SumOfLost Time]+[SumOfNot Observed].

Each of these expressions "sum of ***" are from the individual text boxes to the right of each category label. If I include only a few of the categories, the result displays in the totals text box, but using the entire expression yields a blank text box. It is not a "can grow" problem. The text box is there because I added a solid line border to confirm. I also confirmed the font is black with a white background. Any thoughts are appreciated. I do not read or write code. i use the expression builder tool. Thanks - twb60

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You need to encapsulate your sums with NZ in case one of them returns a null.

=Nz([SumOfWorking],0)+Nz([SumOfPlanning],0)+Nz([SumOfReceiving Instr],0)+...etc

twb60 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Solution Provided by Bob Larson

Bob,

Your solution to encapsulate the sums with NZ in case one of them returns a null resolved my report problem. I will keep this one in my notes for future reference. Thank you for sharing your expertise! - Tony

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.