abm1961 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Access 2010 function

Does anybody have an option or workaround for the "GoTo Field box" function that was in Access XP/2003 and dropped in 2007/2010? I work for a large international consulting firm and not having this ability in Access 2010 is making our migration efforts even more difficult. We work with some very large Access tables with many fields per table. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated in getting the ability back to goto a specific field quickly.

Thank You!

vicrauch is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you talking about going to a specific field on a form? If so, controlName.SetFocus works.
    If this is not what you are looking for, please add a few details to your post, such as what type of object did this function work on? Form, report, or ???

Hey guys,

Sorry about that... (first time posting)

In datasheet view there was the option to scroll and quickly select a field, see below:

This is the functionality we are trying to get back in the latest version of Access.. Any assistance is greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by abm1961; 07-21-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: image missing

is that in table view, or is that a form in Datasheet view?
    Details, details, details are very helpful.
    Follow this link for some great information to help you in your posting a question that will help those trying to give you an answer.

Thank you for your patience, I will get better at this (I promise!)

What you are looking at is Access XP in table view. The drop down menu I have opened in the screenshot is the 'GoTo Field box" in question. What I am hoping for is that someone else has hit this same problem and has found a way to add this type of function to Access 2010 in table view to help locate fields.

We import raw data files from customers and there may be up to the full 255 fields in some situations. Scrolling left and right looking for fields is not very effective in tables this wide.

Thank you again for your patience....

Sounds like you never know what the fields are going to be in these raw tables. But, if you do know, then create a form, make it a subform in another form, then create your own combo box for the "Goto field" function. Your goto field function would simply do the .SetFocus onto the requested field. If you don't know the field names ahead of time, then that's a little tougher. But you can create a routine to read the field names from the table def, then create a form (as outlined above) and then open the newly created form for the user. Writing the routine might take a while, but the opening of the newly created form should all happen in less than a minute.
    I think that sounds like a fun project to write the code to generate that form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.