Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ultimate is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Now the question is in survey before it reaches me I have to create the design and all other related works so that when it arrives to me I have to give the desired output within 24 hrs.

I am still searching how to make this type of design, whether i should make it in forms, or tables, since I am totally new to access.

text file is exported from access

questionnaire data is a hard copy only. I had sent you the soft copy which was received by me to create the design for the database.

I also want to know is it possible if I am making designs for each section seperately and then later on is there any way to bring each section in order.

Is there any other platform to create database which can be handled easily? I am not a computer literate, don't have much knowledge in softwares.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Where do you fit in the process? Can you tell us something of the environment and background of this situation?
    We are trying to help, but don't know much of what you may be taking for granted.
    I still don't know where the data resides currently, nor how it got there or what you are really trying to do from a "business perspective".

I have opened the document19 and can read it, but can not seem any apparent mapping to the questionnaire. The questionnaire has bracketed fields (eg 156-157) which would typically be a column identifier, but I don't see anything like it in the txt file. At the moment the least you need is a mapping table that relates the questionnaire to the text file (in my view).

My place in this process is creating the db and presenting in the required format. I have just sent you the format of the question which was designed to send it to print. Then the printed question will be given to the public in selected areas for survey and I am creating the database from the response that was received.
    As I already said doc. 19 is the response database, it has to read trickily. For example if 112(112 means section 1 & column 12 and since it is section 1 it should be the first line of the output db) column is having number 1 it means that the age of respondent is 25 - 30 years. This is the way it has to be read.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hmmm...

As I already said doc. 19 is the response database, it has to read trickily. For example if 112(112 means section 1 & column 12 and since it is section 1 it should be the first line of the output db) column is having number 1 it means that the age of respondent is 25 - 30 years. This is the way it has to be read.
    So if your job is to create the database, and you have instructions on how it is to be read, what exactly is the issue?

For many of us reading this post and trying to understand, we see it a bit like this:

As I already said doc. 19 is the response database
    you have a responses database which means what? I see a bunch of text with no apparent linkage to the questionnaire form which I'll call an Input document.

There is no (at least we have not seen) a mapping table/document/whatever that relates every field on the Input document to a field/screen/table on the "storage database" (my term for the database you are designing/creating).

An approach (and I stress this is a possible approach only) is to review the "Input form" rigorously and map every field on every section and every page to some table and field in the proposed database. Identify the tables that are needed, and the linkages to ensure the data from each section can be referenced back to the individual who responded,
    the individual who did the data collection (since it seems people will give and collect the form from individuals),
    the individual who did the data entry, and anyone who may have verified the process or data along the way.

If you step back and look at the questionnaire (input document) in terms of an application for a job, for example. There will be parts of the application that relate to you, to your education, perhaps other work experience, education and training, family, hobbies etc, etc. All of the this could go into separate tables, and each of the tables would be related to one another.

So you could examine the input form, and determine which entity/subject the section data refers to, and assign it to a record in a table. Repeat for each section. Create some test data, do some test data entry and try to create the appropriate output.

My feeling is you should use this exercise to get a better appreciation of database specifications and requirements. Quite often you can start with the outputs and work back to required inputs. If you want to see something in the output, it MUST be somewhere in the input or calculated from input. You seem to have everything from the input side, but I'm still not sure I understand what you really have and/or need.

I hope some of these comments are useful. Good luck.

One more question. Lets now keep that I am creating different tables for different sections and the data is entered into it. My question is how to bring them into 1 output. If there are 10 sections, should I create 10 tables enter the response in them and later on bring them together? If i am doing so is it possible to bring table 1 data in line 1 table 2 in line 2 ... If yes how can we do this? Also is this possible when creating a huge database, this kind of complex questions will be having much wide survey and it can also go for a longer period of time I mean for years & years. Will there be any limitations?

Windows XP Access 2003
    You would NOT necessarily have 10 tables simply because you have 10 sections. You could do it like that for simplification of data entry. But there may/would be a need to carry some info from one section to another to maintain consistency of the data recorded for each section for each individual.

Let's separate 2 issues.

Collecting the data from a form (input form) to some electronic form (text files / database tables etc). This could be some intermediate format that held all the input data and identified each section sufficient to relate it to other sections for this individual. If the section dealt with grooming products and lotions (as I recall 1 question), you need to relate this back to the individual who was identified in an earlier section. eg. Bo Smith is identified in Section 1 as individual 3002. In section 24 there is info about Grooming Products and Lotions, you need to identify Bo Smith here if you intend to relate the data in a query/report.

The storage database that represents the person and the responses in the context of the questionnaire. Like the application form example -- education, previous work history, hobbies etc.

The output format that seems to be the issue (bringing it all together), is analogous to the creation of a report. You have info about the applicant (back to my job application analogy) education, hobbies, work experience... how to organize the output. So there is a query based on the various tables and you place fields on a report in the position agreed to / recommended in the output specifications.

I need not & should not carry information from one section to another section all I need to do is to just give the response in the order as per the column number and in sequence. And all the data should be presented in the database as it is.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Right! Just keep believing that all data entry is perfect; no one ever hits the enter key by mistake, that computers, keyboards and data entry personnel all work in perfect harmony -that an 0 and o or O look similar, as do the l and 1. (Similar to you and me, but not the computer and software.)

All I can then suggest to you is to create a program that captures everything including who and when with respect to data entry. You said 10 people to do the data entry, do you also have 10 verifiers to rekey and seek out errors?

You have a large and difficult task in front of you. By assuming everything will be entered perfectly is just adding to your work load, in my view.

I think I've made all suggestions that I can think would be relevant. I would ask that you post back when your task is completed to show us how you made out.

Again, good luck with your project.

Thanks a lot for your kind & timely help & suggestions once it is done will share my experience with you.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think I understand.

For this project you have a document supplied by an outside source that you want to create a data entry system for. Upon completion of the data entry you want to be able to export a fixed width file to the same people that were responsible for designing the questionnaire.

You can do this but my questions still remain

How many fields is the maximum possible record? In other words how many questions are there on the survey that a person has to enter (their age group would be 1 question not 1 for each age group for instance) If this number is more than 255 Access is not the tool for you.

Secondly, assuming the number of data entry fields is less than 255 you have to have an extremely clear vision from the person supplying you the survey as to how each branch of your decision tree will affect data elements within the same record.

For instance whenever it says TERMINATE, does it mean terminate the survey with the person, thank them for their time and then move on?

OR does TERMINATE mean, stop this line of questioning and move to section X?

Orange has pointed out some other things to watch out for but designing a data entry form with a complex decision tree can be very tedious. I would NOT recommend access if this is a one time administration of the survey that will never be repeated unless you are expecting thousands and thousands of responses.

One other thing to consider is the scope of this project, you said it could span years (which to me screams the use of database), but how will the data elements of the survey change over time? I have very rarely seen a survey that didn't go through several evolutions over the span of years. If this is likely to happen with your survey it is another large obstacle to accomodate new elements

terminate means stop this line of questioning and move on to next section.

If access is not the right option which is the best tool that can do this? Could you please help me regarding this?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I don't know what the best tool is you would have to answer some of my questions before I could say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.