stewartNEXT is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Help~ Maybe design error

We are a service/sales company. Database is for Jobs/Enquirys and keeping record of dollar values, follow up dates etc.

Main Table has all the client information
    Admin Table has dollar values, date information

The main form is based on the Main Table, with a subform of the Admin table which is basically the table that gets updated after the job/enquiry has been opened.

When ever i enter information into teh subform and press "enter" is occasically creates a new record. I only want one record in the Admin table - which is relevant to the Main Table. But in some cases i am getting 2 or 3 records in the Admin Table.

Any ideas - or any further information i can supply.

Stewart,

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The tables are a one-to-one relationship? There will always be an Admin record related to a Main record? Do these really have to be two tables?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    one-to-many

There will always been an admin record yes.

due to the amount of information and keeping admin tables information hopefully restricted in teh future. I'd prefer to keep 2 tables

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    So there could be many Admin records related to a single Main record? The additional records occur when pressing 'enter' from the keyboard? The subform is set up as Continuous or Datasheet View? Do you have any controls in subform with a Default value setup? Does the subform source table have an Autonumber field? Can you provide the db for anaysis - make copy, remove confidential data, run Compact & Repair, zip, attach to post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Subform is in form view - for entry of dollar values/payment dates/follow up dates etc
    There is no default values currently
    Subform table has its own autonumber - but is linked via the primary key in the main table

And yes the additonal records occur when pressing enter - if i just type in data and navigate as usual with mouse no additional entrys happen.

I will attempt to attach a version of the database shortly

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.