nyAccess is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Record Locking

I have one database that holds the tables called InvoiceDB. I created 3 databases with forms, queries and reports only for emplyees to pull up records that are related to their customers and is linked to InvoiceDB where the forms, queries and reports. On the forms there are 3 fields that allow multiple values but if two users are on the form it locks one user with an error of "could not update currently locked by another user". On the form Record locks is set to EditedRecord. I am using Access 2010 and Windows XP.

June7 is offline VIP
    Whether or not users are on same form should not be the cause of conflict, it is that they are on the same record.

I refuse to use multi-value fields. This violates database normalization and causes problems, as you are discovering. The way multi-value fields work is that there is a 'hidden' subtable that is storing the multiple values.

I would not create multiple versions for different users. I would use code behind forms to control what records each user would view.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RecordLocking

Thank you for your response!
    All tables are in the one database - the databases that the employees use only contain the queries, forms, and reports. Their database is linked to the tables in the main database and they only pull up records that are theirs based on a query, how could there be a record conflict?

Would it be better to have all forms and queries in the main database with the tables and have all employees access the main database at the same time?

June7 is offline VIP
    That's my point, using forms doesn't cause conflicts, simultaneous editing record does so how you can have a record lock conflict is a mystery.

I have one project that is not split, simultaneous users (2-3) open the same file and interact with the data without issue. I do find this incredible but we tested and as long as they don't hit the same record the data is saved. This is a very, very, very small project (with absolutely NO code, macro nor VBA). Even so, it runs slow for the user in Anchorage running the file saved on server in Fairbanks.

I have another much larger project that is split. Each of the 10 users has their own copy of the frontend on their local station. Updating these copies is automated by script.
    Last edited by June7; 07-17-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.