Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bucko is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Access crashes on one computer and not the other.

I have two main computers running in my office. Access will continually crash on Computer 1 and not on Computer 2. It only crashes when i open large tables or queries. It does not crash when running the same queries thru VBA. It is happen on FE/BE applications and non FE/BE applications. It is happening across the network and non network applications. ie it appears to be a computer issue.
    I have looked at Q&A forums and i can’t seem to find the answer.
    Both computers have close to the same set up
    Computer 1 (laptop): HP Probook 6540b
    CPU: Intel Core i7 M620 @ 2.67GHz
    RAM: 4GB (2.92 Usable)
    Windows 7 Pro SP1

MS Office Access 2007 (12.0.6535.5005) SP2 MSO (12.0.6554.5001)

Computer 2 (Desktop): Gigabyte Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3GHz
    RAM: 2GB
    Windows 7 Pro SP1
    MS Office Access 2007 (12.0.6535.5005) SP2 MSO (12.0.6554.5001)

What is going on?
    Cheers

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Welcome to the forum!

A couple of things...

1. Try repair
    2. Check References on both machines and see if there is a difference

Bucko is offline Novice
    Thanks but i have already checked out the refferences and many compact repairs.

It happens on serveral different Access applications.

Cheers

Oh, not Compact & Repair... I should have been clearer. I meant have you tried Repairing the installation?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What kind of error message are you getting? Or does the application just shut down with no warning/error/anything else?

How large are the databases you're dealing with? Does it happen on any database regardless of how small it is? Does it fail on the same types of operations or can it just be sitting there with nobody doing anything and still crash?

danny2000 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    I've had this problem when I've built something in Access 2002 and then run the macro on
    Access 2003 though it only happens when I try to run a macro on the second machine.

I'm not sure why this happens but one thing you can try is when you open your project on the second machine, save it and then run your query or macro and see if that makes a difference. I speculate it has something to do with the differences in Access 2002 and 2003 though who's to say.

Let me know how you go.

Bucko is offline Novice
    Hi All
    I have used the diagnostics and repair function several times now with no luck.
    The application doesn’t actually crash. I get "Not Responding" up the top and it just freezes until i close it down.

On UtterAccess they have said that MS have acknowledged an issues with Win7 and Access but this doesn’t explain why it happens on one computer and not the other.

Bucko is offline Novice
    Here is what was said by an MS engineer.

"We have identified an issue in the Access source code that is contributing to the cause of the intermittent query performance problem you see in Microsoft Access when using Windows 7 machines.

Due to efficiencies built into the newer operating systems, as well as efficiencies in many newer machines, resource management is vastly different from the time when the database engine code for Microsoft Access was developed. The Microsoft Jet Database Engine code, on which the Access 2007 and Access 2010 Database Engine was based, was developed to work around resource limitations in older operating systems. Due to the recent changes in resource management, we are finding that the older approach to resource management is resulting in the intermittent query performance issues. Our developers are currently exploring an approach to resolving the issue in the source code for the Access Database Engine."

First time I am hearing that... I would be more inclined to thing it has to with the HP Probook as seen here...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...k/td-p/1161480

and here...
    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/biz...&printver=true

and here...
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...dTypeId=321957

Seems to have to do with the ProtectTools Security Manager.

Bucko is offline Novice
    Gina

Thanks. It was the "DPAGENT.EXE". I closed the process and all if fine again.

HP has "HP Protect tools with Digital Persona" it apprears to be smothering my Access App.

All is good now.

YIPEEEEE!

And thanks for posting back with the Process name it is bound to help someone else!

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Hi All
    I have used the diagnostics and repair function several times now with no luck.
    The application doesn’t actually crash. I get "Not Responding" up the top and it just freezes until i close it down.

On UtterAccess they have said that MS have acknowledged an issues with Win7 and Access but this doesn’t explain why it happens on one computer and not the other.
    I've also experienced crashes on Windows 7 using MSAccess 2000-2003. Windows 7 doesn't play nicely with MSAccess 2000-2003. I'll post more as I figure out the problem.

Access 2000 and Access XP not supported on Windows 7 because of issues. Depending on your Windows version you can install XP mode...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...indows-xp-mode
    How to Videos…
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...t/default.aspx
    Using XP Mode…
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...indows-xp-mode

As for Access 2003 it will run but some code will give you issues. Like if you use SendKeys in your code. You may also experience issues if you load Access 2007 and/or Access 2010 on the same machine.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I've mainly been getting 'On Expression', 'On Click' errors after making an mde file and the 2007 users open it (even though 2003 MSAccess users don't experience any problems). The code itself isn't complex on these errors (ie. a simple docmd.openform). There's no rhyme or reason on these so I can't give more details.

Also note, if you use the _ for several buttons (ie. Close Form), this also causes problems and even the possibility of corrupting the form.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    Gina

Thanks. It was the "DPAGENT.EXE". I closed the process and all if fine again.

HP has "HP Protect tools with Digital Persona" it apprears to be smothering my Access App.

All is good now.
    HP type products (especially the ones which come with a printer) have caused me many issues. I'd recommend unchecking any of these 'extras' that come with HP in the MSConfig so they don't load on startup. These just cause extra overhead and the program really doesn't need to be in the startup. It will open fine when launched via Programs or by clicking the icon on the desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.