andersonEE is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Linked Database with 2 external Sources?

Background:

I have two redundant Servers (call them "A" and "B"). Each server has Microsoft SQL Express 2005 running and has a copy of my database.
    I also have a desktop computer that runs Access 2007. In Access, I connect to the SQL database on Server B using a Linked Database (ODBC). I have some forms that populate records on the database.

Problem:
    Right now the data only gets populated on Server B (I obviously can't link the Access project to 2 SQL databases). I also need it on Server A. I have looked into Replication, but it seems like SQL Express can only function as a Subscriber...not a Publisher. I was wondering if maybe I can do away with the linked database in Access and instead keep a local copy of the database on the desktop computer as an .accdb. Then is it possible to have the Access Database serve as the Publisher to the 2 Server databases?

Any elegant solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you were to link the same table from each database could you update each table individually? If you can and your only problem is that you want both servers to update in real time I would suggest making your data entry forms unbound, when you add, change or delete a record you would just apply a sql statement to both tables then move on.

Please note that if you do this it is *critical* that you are not using an autonumbering system for your primary key because the autonumber can get out of sequence very, very easily. If you are generating your own primary key while doing data entry it might be a solution.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.