emmie is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Exclamation Autocomplete section in form based on previous answer

Hi there

I am new to Acces 97 an have searched online for a solution without much luck.

I have a form which records questionnaires and there are some Yes and No questions. What I want to do is to enter N/A into certain sections of the form if the answer to the question is No.

Can someone please tell me an easy way of doing this as I will need to enter about 1000 30 page questionnaires and I am trying to make the process as quick as possible.

Thanks

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    In summary:
    • You need to write an event-handler for every question where you wish to 'trap' a negative answer. It's not complicated.
    • The event-handler then pokes 'N/A' into the related answers. You will have to do this for each answer in turn.
    The difficulty I envisage is correctly addressing these related answers. With 30 pages for each questionnaire I doubt whether all questions and answers are on the same form. For my method to succeed the forms containing the related answers must be loaded at the time the negative answer is trapped.

You could go further by disabling the related answers to avoid accidentally typing into them.

I don't think anyone can help you further without seeing the form design.

emmie is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for the reply Rod.

Perhaps I am not explaining myself correctly.

Example Question.

In the FIRST TWO WEEKS after the accident, has your child had to stay in hospital overnight or visit a day case unit because of their accident?

Answer options Yes or No

Next Question is to complete the information for each stay.

Stay 1
    Admission Date, Discharge Date, Name of Hospital, Name of Consultant and Name of Ward
    Stay 2 etc.
    Stay 3 etc
    Stay 4 etc
    Stay 5 etc

So if the answer is No, I want to be able to skip the Stay section and carry on. Our protocol does not allow blank fields in the database, so it will just save time to have it auto complete when the answer is no.

The paper forms are 30 pages but there are lots of pictures.

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    No, you explained yourself very well but from the nature of your response something is troubling you.

Using your example the event-handler traps the answer 'No' and then pokes 'N/A' into all the answers to the subordinate questions for each 'Stay' and jumps to the next main question.

We can't give coding examples without seeing the form. The Access form not the questionnaire.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.