pacer31 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Query column return denoting records as top 80%, next 10%, & sums bottom 10%

Hi all- hopefully this isn't too complicated or beyond limits..

I have a query that counts patient discharges by zip code and is in descending order. Adjacent, I've managed to create a column for the percent of total discharges with my newly learned lessons, but now need an additional column that denotes if the zip code is in the top 80% or the next 10% (80-90). Also, I need the bottom 10% to sum the discharges and be represented in the last row instead of individual zip at that point. I am a new access user and have no idea how to write this with the little experience I have. With the Return feature, it seems to only be able to return the top 55%... when I test 60% it returns all the records, because there are a lot of 1 counts for zip codes at the bottom. I suppose some sort of top-down cumulative count is needed and if expression to denote the zip codes. One particular aspect that is needed is to include the last zip code in the top 80% to be the first one crossing into the second range. (So if the cumulative fourth zip code is top 76% and the fifth adds 8%, it is still included in Top80%).

This is what I have so far...

SELECT MHDCFY09A.ZIP, MHDCFY09A.CITY, MHDCFY09A.STATE, Count(MHDCFY09A.ZIP) AS Tot, DCount("RECID","MHDCFY09A","Hospid ='2118'") AS Expr1, [Tot]/[Expr1] AS Expr2
    FROM MHDCFY09A
    GROUP BY MHDCFY09A.ZIP, MHDCFY09A.CITY, MHDCFY09A.STATE, DCount("RECID","MHDCFY09A","Hospid ='2118'"), MHDCFY09A.HOSPID
    HAVING (((MHDCFY09A.HOSPID)="2118"))
    ORDER BY Count(MHDCFY09A.ZIP) DESC;

Thanks for reading, and any help is appreciated!
    Happy 4th!!!!

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    No one’s helping you, are they.

I understand what you want to do and thought I had a way to do the percentiles (correct term?). However my solution does not work when there are rows with equal counts (Count(MHDCFY09A.ZIP) which I assume is highly likely. So I abandoned the idea of doing it all in one SQL. Anyway the requirement to summarise the bottom 10% doesn’t ‘fit’ with the other requirements.

(BTW: Is DCount("RECID","MHDCFY09A","Hospid ='2118'") really necessary in the GROUP BY expression? I can’t get my head around it but it seems to me that the result will be the same for all rows so it adds nothing to the grouping.)

(There is also a minor flaw in your explanation. Suppose the first three rows account for 79% and that rows four and five have identical counts. You would include row four in the 80% and drop row five, yet it is a matter of chance which row comes first.)

I can envisage a coding solution using your SQL as a starting point. It will be quite straightforward and you will end up with a table that matches closely or exactly your reporting requirements. If you are comfortable with VBA I suggest this is the route to go.

Alternatively we are into a solution involving sub queries or intermediate queries. Such a solution may involve some make-table or append queries. I can’t quite see my way through this yet but am willing to have a go.

If you are still out there and haven’t found a solution (if you have please publish as I’m interested) then answer back with your comments and we’ll take it from there.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.