hawkins is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Query to search for Certain Years

I am creating a feeder status report and the feeders have static information and changing information depending on the year. I have a static table called Static, which has a list of the feeder names and static information about them. I also have a table called Yearly which holds information by the year and is referred to the Static table by the feeder name. I was wonidering how I could set up a query in the report to search for the current year value out of the Yearly table say I want the CalcGrwth (Column Name) value for a specific feeder name. I created the base report using the wizard so that the feeder name changes and I want to correspond that name to the year. Similar Id want the previous year as well. I have done this by using the report wizard but it is not in the format I would like. I am new to access so detailed explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and any suggestions are welcome!

boblarson is offline --------
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What does the field that has the date information look like? If it is a full date then you can create your own field in the query for year and then have the criteria like this.

First, the field in the query - so in the QBE grid you would have:

CalcGrwthYear:Year([FieldWithDateInfoInIt])

and the criteria for the current year would simply be:

Year(Date())

Then the criteria for the previous year

Year(Date())-1

Thank you for the response, the year field is only the year, for example 2010, I tried to do CalcGrwthYear:Year([YearRecorded]) in a QBE field and then criteria I used Year(Now()) and Year(Date()) but I did not recieve any results even though there are years of 2011 in my table.

If the Year field is only the year then you wouldn't need to create a separate field and you could just use

Year(Date())

as the criteria on that field. But, if that Year field [YearRecorded] is text then you would have to use

Cstr(Year(Date()))

as the criteria.

Thank you, that worked perfect! I was also wondering how to make sure the query results only include the name given in the header of the report (sorted by name).

Quote Originally Posted by hawkins View Post
    I was also wondering how to make sure the query results only include the name given in the header of the report (sorted by name).
    Not sure I understand what you're asking for. Please explain a bit more in detail what you are looking to do with that, how it currently works, etc.

I have attached a file of my database. I am just trying to 'screw' around on this one so I dont mess up my bigger one I have been working on. I am trying to create a page report for each of the feeder name. Each feeder has static and yearly information. The report now is organized by feeder name and I want to use the query to be able to get yearly data for each year so I can then organize it the way I would like it to look. As of right now, my query runs how I would like to but in the report it does not show any results as it did when I ran the query. Also I want the results to this query (when it is able to work) to be based upon the feeder name for that page.

thanks for the help, I finally figured it out by adding [Reports]![Static]![Name] to the criteria of the name.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.