mikeha_99 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Filter items shown in Combo Box in sub-form

Greetings,

First I will say I am an Access novice. This is my first project. I have limited database experience with other programs. This project is for color matching in a printing business. It is a color matching request form.

Currently, my database has two tables called "Main" and "Inks" and I have forms for both, with the form for the "Inks" table in "Datasheet" format. The Inks datasheet form is shown inside the Main form (would that be called a sub-form?). Please see the attached screenshot

My Inks table includes a field I called "Request ID" which is linked to the Main table's automatically generated ID number. The Main form is the "top level" of the request. The Inks table has multiple records, and they are tied to the Main table's automatic ID.

Customer info such as name, part number, etc. is entered in the Main form. Then, names of colors (red, green, black, etc) are entered in the datasheet for the Inks table, in a column called "Colors"

I have another column in this Inks datasheet I called "Prints Behind" in which I want to list all the entries made in the column called "Colors". They should be listed with a check box, allowing the user to indicate, within a single row, what other colors are printed behind it.

My problem is that I need to limit what is displayed in the "Prints Behind" field of the datasheet to those colors listed for just the current record. Instead, I am getting all colors for all records.

In the Inks datasheet, how do I display the contents of the column called "Colors" in a Combo Box called "Prints Behind" for the current "Main" table record? If you view the screenshot, you will notice that my combo box displays all the inks in two records. It should be limited to just the current record.

Sorry for the length of the description, but hopefully I have explained myself adequately. I appreciate any and all help, and your patience in dealing with a novice

Thanks,
    Mike

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A combobox is based on a query; which you find in its property. You need to modify the query so it has a criteria; and you must trigger it to requery every time you change the criteria.

mikeha_99 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    A combobox is based on a query; which you find in its property. You need to modify the query so it has a criteria; and you must trigger it to requery every time you change the criteria.
    Hi, and thanks for the help. I always appreciate any guidance.

I'm at the query, and I see the area where criteria is added, but I'm afraid I need a bit more to get started. Any chance of adding some more details? or some form of example?

Thanks,
    Mike

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.