Amadeus is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Comparing 2 columns against 2 other columns

This may be a noob question, but how can you run a query comparing an ID number and a date against another table of ID numbers and dates?

I have everything loaded and ready to go, can easily compare ID vs ID, but one of the tables has a couple dates only per ID (that we need) and the other table has a large amount of dates in there that we do not need.

Basically, trying to match up two columns on the smaller table to two columns on a much large table.

Thanks

evander is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    What results do you want for the match? Like which pair of ID and date can be found in the bigger table? You can use an outer join query. I'll include the details after you reply to this thread.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for responding. On the smaller table, the one that I need the info for, there's about 1400 ID's and Dates. On the larger table, there's over 300,000. I need to pull the info from the larger table onto the smaller one. Meaning weed out most of the 300,000. Each ID can have several dates on both tables.

Basically, I have a list of ID's and Dates on a small table, need to make sure they exist on the larger one.

Rhino373 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    In Access, click on New Query in Design View. Click to add both the small table and large table. In one of the tables, click on the ID field and drag your mouse to the ID field in the other table creating a link. Do the same with the Date field. You'll have a 2 lines joining these tables. Now double click the astrick from the large table and click the exclamation point at the top of the screen to run it.

This effectively says to give you everything from the large table where the ID and Date from both tables matches.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That worked! Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.