awmmoore is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy Too Complex to be evaluated - HELP!

Hello Everyone,

I've got a problem with a query of mine. I've tried to be clever and give users the ability to select multiple dates to run a query on. The VBA code I've got for this is below:

Code:
    ListBox1.AddItem "01/" & Combo3.Value & "/" & Combo29.Value
    Dim strstring As String
    strstring = ""
    For i = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
        If i = Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1 Then
        strstring = strstring & "#" & Format(Me.ListBox1.Column(0, i), "DD/MM/YYYY") & "#"
        Else
        strstring = strstring & "#" & Format(Me.ListBox1.Column(0, i), "DD/MM/YYYY") & "# Or "
        End If
    Next i
    Text30.Value = strstring
    I then in my query, have the date field look at the value of text30.value. The value of text30.value looks like #01/01/2011# Or #01/02/2011# or #01/03/2011#. When the query tries and runs however, it brings up the really annoying error of being typed incorrectly or being too complex. However, if I type into query design mode #01/01/2011# Or #01/02/2011# or #01/03/2011# in the date field "WHERE" criteria, it works... I can't understand why. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The problem is that the query design grid is doing some work for you that you don't realize. Valid SQL is:

WHERE FieldName = #01/01/2011# Or FieldName = #01/02/2011#

Note the repetition of the field name. If you type

#01/01/2011# Or #01/02/2011#

into the criteria in the design grid, it converts it for you (change to SQL view after tabbing out of that field and you'll see what I mean). When you run the query dynamically looking at that criteria, it won't (can't?). That leaves you with

WHERE FieldName = #01/01/2011# Or #01/02/2011#

which isn't valid SQL. I typically use a technique like this to filter forms or reports with a multiselect listbox:

http://www.baldyweb.com/multiselect.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

awmmoore is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question

Hello,

The query now works, but it brings back all data, and doesn't seem to specify the filtering based on the dates. Below is the query the listbox is bound to:

Code:
    SELECT Tbl_SMT.FullName AS [SMT Tech Name], TblQuality.Date, TblQuality.TelScore AS [Telephone Score], TblQuality.SAPNotNoCompleted AS [Notifications Raised], TblQuality.SAPNotTelephone AS [(T) Telephone], TblQuality.SAPNotEmail AS [(E) Email], TblQuality.SAPNotFace AS [(F) Face to Face], TblQuality.SAPNotProcess AS [(P) Process], TblQuality.SAPNotWorkType AS [Incorrect Work Type], TblQuality.SAPNotLongText AS [Long Text Missing], TblQuality.SAPNotReportedBy AS [Reported By Missing], TblQuality.SAPNotPrioritySet AS [Incorrect Priority], TblQuality.SAPNotConstraintDates AS [Constraint Dates], TblQuality.SAPNotREVariance AS [RE Variance], TblQuality.SAPConNumberComp AS [Confirmations Made], TblQuality.SAPConNoEmployeeNo AS [Employee ID Missing], TblQuality.SAPConNoConfText AS [No Confirmation Text], TblQuality.SAPConZeroMins AS [Zero Minutes], TblQuality.SMQRej1 AS Rejects FROM (TblQuality LEFT JOIN Tbl_SMT ON TblQuality.Username=Tbl_SMT.Username) LEFT JOIN Tbl_TLs ON Tbl_SMT.TeamLeaderID=Tbl_TLs.Username WHERE (((Tbl_SMT.FullName) Like Forms!frmShow!Combo1.value) And ((forms!frmShow!text30.value)) And ((Tbl_TLs.FullName) Like forms!frmShow!combo5.value));
    The VBA which my code outputs into text30.value is:

Code:
    ListBox1.AddItem "01/" & Combo3.Value & "/" & Combo29.Value
    Dim strstring As String
    strstring = ""
    For i = 0 To Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1
        If i = Me.ListBox1.ListCount - 1 Then
        strstring = strstring & "((tblQuality.Date)=#" & Format(Me.ListBox1.Column(0, i), "DD/MM/YYYY") & "#)"
        Else
        strstring = strstring & "((tblQuality.Date)=#" & Format(Me.ListBox1.Column(0, i), "DD/MM/YYYY") & "#) Or "
        End If
    Next i
    Text30.Value = strstring
    List7.Requery
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.