NEHicks is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Using Social# as unique identifier

I have tried to create a database using the social security number as the primary key. I get different error messages each time. If I let Access set the automatic ID as the primary key and then set the relationship between tables as the social, it won't let me use two tables to create a query. I can't figure this out. Could anyone give me some information about this?

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NEHicks View Post
    I have tried to create a database using the social security number as the primary key. I get different error messages each time.
    well that doesnt mean anything my friend.

did you use the table mask for the SS#?? if you want to give the WHY, WHEN, HOW and such you might be happier with answers in this room.

NEHicks is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Using Social# as unique identifier

ajetrumpet: Under my name it indicates "novice". Ok, more info:
    I have tried importing from my excel spreadsheet - I have tried formatting the social column as number, general, text, or special: social #. Nothing.
    I have tried changing the table formatting for social to: text, or number - I have tried using an input format for social with and without spacers (-) in the number. I have tried the table format as double or long integer - nothing. I have gotten out my text book and re-read it, looking for an answer.

I have 4 excel sheets that I want to make 4 tables. They each have the last name, first name, social as the "connecting" data. I have set the table relationships as one-to-one on the social. Right now, Access has set the primary key to the automatic ID number. The error messages I get say "you can't set if a Null value", or that it will set up duplicates in one or more fields. I have set the index formatting as no, yes (duplicates ok) or yes, no duplicates. Nothing works.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    reading that last post, I would say this: Nothing is wrong with your data. I am going to assume that your novice status with Access is what's blocking this from getting done.

the errors:

*"cant set if NULL" - probably means that you have a NULL value somewhere in the field ur trying to use as ur PK.

*"cant set if duplicate" - means the obvious. you have a duplicate value in the field ur trying to use as the PK.

Under my name it indicates "novice".
    under your name, it gives you a caption based on the number of posts you have made total. This is an internal setting that comes with vBulletin software, and rarely do people that use it to run forums change this. FYI! not a good one, but still FYI. it's entertaining to say the least, right??

why don't you upload what you've got?? an xls sheet?? upload those sheets and I can probably tell you what the issue is by looking at it.

how many records are there in these sheets?? for instance, if thousands and ur getting those errors in access, I wouldn't be too disappointed with yourself. who can look through with their own eyes and check thousands of records for data validation?? no one.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.