REAPER_110 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Selection form help required!

Hi,

I have set up a database and have added a login screen to ensure that only authorised advisors have access to the client data.

What I would like to know is.....

Once logged in I want to create a form which has a client search, if the client is not already in the database I want the advisor to be able to use a "new client" button to add the client to the database. I also want to limit being able to change the actual user log to only me so that no one else can change who has access. Is that possible?? At present I only have myself and my boss on the users list but obviously I will add advisors once its finished. My boss was just concerned that anyone who was given access would be able to add other users when they wanted and he wants it so only I can change it. Am I making any sense??

What I would like to do is add possibly another login button for admin so I have to log in before gaining access to the users table for me to add more advisors and passwords.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    REAPER_110

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Its all doable. And its good to think these things out in advance.

One can lock fields, and lock entire forms - based on who is logged in. It isn't a native feature (no icon in the ribbon) but readily added with vba and understanding field/form properties. In fact it is somewhat common.

With an Access textbook, easily found at Amazon or any large book store - - one can establish this level of database design fairly readily.

Hope this helps.

REAPER_110 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks NTC,

I work for a national charity and have been asked to set up a new database. Its proving to be harder than I thought but people are very helpful here and its coming along nicely. Just wanted to obviously make sure the security aspect was tight due to client confidentiality aspects etc.

Am I right in thinking that I can set the database to only allow access to the users table to myself once I am logged in and lock it to anyone else logged in?

Kind Regards,
    REAPER_110

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Not exactly. Locking is not a table property - but a form property. No user should ever be in a table directly. Users use form. It is the form, or a control on a form, that gets locked. In a textbox it is the lock property. In the form it is the AllowAdditions, AllowDeletions, AllowEdits properties.

Finally - Reports are totally passive objects. No interaction at all. So if Users are limited to looking at data only - with no input at all. You can have them look at reports.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.