stlbryson is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Angry Import not working - no error

I'm trying to import Excel files and I get to choose the file then nothing happens. No wizard, no error, nothing.

This happens with different databases and with networked and non-networked drives.

It's maddening.

Any thoughts??

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    using the wizard? define "nothing". if you're using the wizard, you can't get "nothing" after choosing a file. there's many screens to go after choosing a file.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry I didn't outline my steps before...

I have my company's version of Office 2007 and this worked before but has since stopped. Also, I checked my "trusted locations" to be sure the folder I am using is in there and it is.

I click on "External Data" then Excel. The dialogue box pops up and I browse for the spreadsheet to import.

When I click "OK" the dialogue box goes away but the import wizard doesn't pop up. Nothing happens. No error, nothing. I can open work in the database with no problem. Weird...

As stated previously, this is happening with different files in different folders so it's not one file that won't import.

hmmmm....haven't heard about that before.

I'm not going to google this because it would be hard to find. I don't have that kind of time.

can you upload it? I'll try it here. why type of excel file are you clicking on? I doubt this is it, but remember, there are million different types of excel files that can be produced by that program:

• 97-2003 version
    • 2007 version
    • sheet 5.0, 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, etc...
    • macro-enabled, with "m" extension
    • .csv

like I sad, I doubt that has anything to do with this, but I only mention that to jar your memory about something else that may be going on with your system and/or machine.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I would upload but I've tried different files and nothing. Plus, I'm not sure how to upload a file here.

All files we currently use are .xls. I was using Office 2003 but got upgraded a month ago to Office 2007. I am the guinea pig, which is why i'm looking here for answers!

I even tried saving as .xlsx but that didn't help either.

I would call our help desk but it's a softwarre issue and I doubt I'll get support for it...especially since the help desk resides in a foreign country and they may not even know what I'm talking about.

well I dont work at your helpdesk, bud, so if you can't upload the file here I can't really help anymore.

here's a great tutorial on how to do it: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...d.php?t=140587

that's on a different forum of course, but the same rules apply here.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Don't think privilege to attach files is gained until member 30 days and 30 posts. At least it is not letting me yet and that is customary practice in other forums. You can upload to a fileshare site such as Box.net and post link to the file.

Just for info, attaching a file is done with the Manage Attachments button located below the Reply to Thread post editor in the Additional Options section. If you don't see the button then probably need to expand the section frame.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Don't think privilege to attach files is gained until member 30 days and 30 posts. At least it is not letting me yet and that is customary practice in other forums. You can upload to a fileshare site such as Box.net and post link to the file.

Just for info, attaching a file is done with the Manage Attachments button located below the Reply to Thread post editor in the Additional Options section. If you don't see the button then probably need to expand the section frame.
    LOL! Well you're just full of all sorts of knowledge...

Keep following me, honey. People chase me all the time, but it never lasts. But hey, on a serious note for the OP, that is a good little piece of knowledge to have about forums...

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Update to my earlier post about attaching files. I saw a post with attachment by new member. It was an mdb file and not even zipped. Since I could not attach file, not sure yet what the restrictions for this site are.

AKB is offline Novice
    2 Months later - I have the same problem. Did you figure this out?

Firchild is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Talking Got it!

Worked it out in the end, as I had the same problem as you , and no on seemed to be coming up with the good stuff. So I tinkered.

I remembered that there was a feature called detect and repair back in office 2003. It doesn't exist (seemingly in 2010), but if you create a Macro and chuck the following code in..

Code:
    Sub Detect_Repair()
    Application.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=3774).Execute End Sub
    It'll run the repair wizard, then, (thank god, since I was headbutting the desk at one point tonight) Import wizard's back in action!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.