IKON_Graphics is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Stubborn Cannot Lock File scenario

Hello!

On our network we have a team of 5 or 6 people on our domain who share an Access 2007 accdb database on a network drive. It's split and everybody has their own local FE as advised. We've never had a problem with multiple team members being in the file together.

Last week, I upgraded one of our users from an XP system to Win7. Now that user is unable to open the shared database. She is receiving the error "Cannot Lock File" whenever she opens it through her shortcut. I've run a few searches here and invested a possibly unhealthy amount of time surfing google for answers, and here's what I've tried:

Verified that the user is a local administrator.
    Verified that the user has appropriate rights for the directory and files.
    *Same rights as other users who have no problems.
    Verified that the ODBC sources are set up the same as the other Win7 machines that work fine.
    I've also tried using the registry edit method to alter the MaxLocksPerFile field as suggested by Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305995 .

This user had no problems at all when she was still using Windows XP, so I think it could be local issue with the machine or Access configuration. I just don't know what else I could check.

It would be awesome if someone had some ideas of things I might be missing or forgetting to look at. Thanks!
    Last edited by IKON_Graphics; 05-03-2011 at 07:20 AM.

Other things worth mentioning:

I've also verified that the users all have the same version of office 2007 Ultimate SP2.
    All the normal users have required permissions - Modify, Read/Execute, Read, Write, List, etc.
    None of the files are set up as read-only.

Two things I thought of after some more searching:

Would disabling indexing make a difference? I've heard of file indexing causing lock file problems when writing to a database before, but we can't even get the user to open this one for editing. (Referring to normal windows file indexing / search indexing).

I've read that lock files retain a list of active users traced by their machine ID and that we can delete it to regenerate the file. I'm wondering if having changed machines but trying to sign on as the same person is related to this issue, and why she would still be tracked by the lock file since she had closed out of the database before getting the new PC.

I'll update if these two ideas make any difference~

Solved the issue after all.

Turns out that the user did not have proper rights on their locally stored frontend - had nothing to do with the network share or access configuration. Go figure! Must be a Windows 7 thing. I've never had to set it up so specifically on XP boxes.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    mark it as solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.